• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stereo Issues with installing an afetmarket headunit

22spec007

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I am going through worst headunit installation experience ever with my 99 XJ that once had the infinity system: have purchased and taken back three brand new headunits and cannot resolve this problem. I purchased the JVC KDR610 headunit and a set of Kenwwod KFCP709PS 6.5 4 ohm component speakers and worked great for about a week, unit the sound started to crap at .25 of the total volume and I noticed the unit was extremely hot, and my lower light speakers with blink with the beat of the music. (this units manual advises that the headunit does get hot after use, but not extremely hot after 5 minutes like mine)

Checked the wiring to the compontents and the read 4 ohms with no issues. When I wired the first deck I had to bypass the infinity amp and locte all the input and output wiring for the speakers (what a mess) I decided with the second deck to bypass all of the infinity wiring completely and run new speaker wiring all away around. Again, sounded awesome for about 3 days and again, crap sound and extremely hot deck.

exchanged for another deck and thought might be the factory fround wire from the factory wiring harness my be too long, so I grounded on the metal kick plate under the steering wheel. Same result immediatley, so I disconnected the deck before it got too hot. Any ideas?? Is it possible I need to run a new red hot wire from the deck straight to the battery??

Would love any suggestions!!

My first thought was that you were running through the stock amp, but I see you bypassed it and even used all new wiring. Seeing as you've eliminated all the other possibilities, running new 12V+ constant seems like a reasonable idea, but I can't see how that would help.

You may want to hook up some other speakers that you know are good to see if you can either eliminate or identify the new speakers and crossovers as the problem.

I would try running a direct line to the battery, with a fuse. You will also want to put a relay inline so that it's not constantly on.

If you get no results, try to run some wires coming out of the dash (you won't be able to put the head unit all the way in, but it's just to see if it works) directly to the speakers (will cost a few bucks in wire) and see if things improve.

FWIW, the Kenwood in my 99 XJ didn't last too long. I've abused alpines with no issues, ever.

my lower light speakers with blink with the beat of the music.
Wat?

so I grounded on the metal kick plate under the steering wheel.
That would make for a poor ground as its not really bolted to a solid ground point. I am not even sure if it is bolted to any metal. Find a better ground.

Is your speaker polarity correct.Also those speakers are not properly sized to your unit.

Polarity is correct. All speakers are reading 4 ohms and I've tried several grounds. When I approach mid volume, my lower cabin lights flicker. It almost like the deck is trying to draw as much current as it can, but cant, and thus the deck gets hot. (within 5-6 minutes)

Thinking about running a direct hot wire to the battery, but I have never done that before.

Thanks for the responses!! Any other suggestions or experiences?

Back