• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with trackbar axle housing/bracket

jasnmoore

NAXJA Forum User
This last December I bought my first XJ ('99, 4.0L, AW4, D30, 8.25). I'm currently trying to correct the POs mistakes. He didn't install an adjustable trackbar after doing a ~4.5" short arm lift and the axle bracket bolt hole(s) are egged. See the pic below.

Any ideas? Anyone make stronger after market bracket hardware?

I'm planning on purchasing a Clayton trackbar once I have this fixed: http://claytonoffroad.com/product_info.php/cPath/18_78/products_id/347

picture.php

plate and weld the front with 3/16th, should do the trick.

plate and weld the front with 3/16th, should do the trick.

Yeah, that was my initial thought too but wanted to ask around first. Seems like a band-aid and wasn't sure if there was a better/beefier solution.

how you gonna weld it on the backside of the hole without decreasing minor diameter? im sure that side got messed up too....

sounds like a perfect time for OTK steering/trackbar.... a brand new 1/4" bracket will do you good, if you can afford the mods/downtime.

is that stock steering?

how you gonna weld it on the backside of the hole without decreasing minor diameter? im sure that side got messed up too....

sounds like a perfect time for OTK steering/trackbar.... a brand new 1/4" bracket will do you good, if you can afford the mods/downtime.

is that stock steering?

Yup, had that thought too. I can afford the mods and downtime but haven't found an inspiring write up. I've read some of Kittrell's and EricsXJ's stuff.

WJ vs Teraflex, JKS OAB, DIY DOM, WJ TRE vs Chevy 1-ton vs Currie TRE....

My head starts to spin :confused1 and Toys-by-Troy is OOB damn it.

Yup, it's stock. Was thinking ORO U-Turn with Clayton trackbar and be done with it.

Last edited:
yeah i deffinately hear ya on that. maybe plate the front for now, and hope for the best. it may still pop'n'lock occasionally, but hey, it'll buy ya some time, and cant be any worse!

its possible the inner hole isnt that bad.... who knows till ya look?

yeah i deffinately hear ya on that. maybe plate the front for now, and hope for the best. it may still pop'n'lock occasionally, but hey, it'll buy ya some time, and cant be any worse!

its possible the inner hole isnt that bad.... who knows till ya look?

True, I need to get a better look at it.

However, I think this is just Part I in curing my steering woes. The steering shaft has some slight play, the pitman arm has slight play when turning lock to lock, steering box is covered in oil but that could be from a PS hose, and the steering wheel has some play before the steering shaft even turns.

It was really a white knuckle drive before I got the new tires and wheels mounted last week. The PO had 2 matching 33 x 12.50, one 33 x 11.50, and some bastard. All with varying degrees of tread and lack of.

easy....Ive done it to mine when both holes were wobbled out. For the front weld across the whole front and fill the hole from the inside. For the other bolt hole where the nut goes, remove the nut and put a piece of 3/16th where the nut would go and fill in he wobbled hole. Or you can get the JKS over the knuckle bracket and go that route...

I've decided to do the WJ conversion and crossover steering using JKS fab parts rather than screw around with this axle bracket nonsense and HD "bolt on" steering. It will probably be a few weeks. I just started doing the research a few days ago.

Back