• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So whos doing a budget lift??

Swill93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
just like the title says, im looking to do a budget lift and wanted to get some ideas and opinions from other people who have done their own lifts and had success. not looking for nothing crazy maybe 4.5 lift max. any comments or complaints please let me know since im planning on doing this lift quite soon.

apparently so does safety.

Yup!

not really sure what you mean by that
He means that if you do it right its safer.

To the OP, My budget lift is all OME, I just traded/ bought used parts. I have about $500(for now, I'm no longer in the budget phase its waaaaay out the window now) and a transmission in my Lift. The springs were lightly used and i had to buy a new track bar. Rides much better than any budget lift with f-150 springs and bastard packs!

Every lift is a budget lift. Some just have bigger budgets. ;)

Actually the term budget lift came from JC Whitney IIRC. They used to offer a 3" lift for $99 back when I started building XJ's. It consisted of new front coils and a helper leaf in the rear. Don't ask what the year was. I actually ran one for several years with 31's. Back then, you got stares with 31's and they were considered extreme and not safe for the highway.

Here is a pix of it I found in the way back machine. Anybody recognize the location?

BBTurn1.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 90 2 door I picked up a little over month ago. It was bone stock on 215s. I trimmed the front fenders level with under the lights. No more. I ordered a set of XJ HD replacement front coils for an 87-88 XJ, I don't remember the part number but the last digit is a 1. I still have stock arms and trackbar under it. It gave me close to 3" of lift and I have 2" blocks in the rear with new Rancho shocks in both ends. It clears 31s on stock 10 slot aluminum wheels easily. I don't rub anywhere except the lower arms at full lock. The ride is excellent and it does everything offroad that I want/need... I hope that helps...

Pretty much used lift parts that can be had in the lower price range.. V8 ZJ Upcountry springs/coil spacer/additional stock isolator + Bastard pack/MJ shackle + ZJ tie rod + JK take-off shocks + hockey puck bump extension, etc.
Thats a cheaper "budget" lift.

Actually the term budget lift came from JC Whitney IIRC. They used to offer a 3" lift for $99 back when I started building XJ's. It consisted of new front coils and a helper leaf in the rear. Don't ask what the year was. I actually ran one for several years with 31's. Back then, you got stares with 31's and they were considered extreme and not safe for the highway.

Here is a pix of it I found in the way back machine. Anybody recognize the location?

BBTurn1.jpg

My 1st Jeep lift was the JCW/RC 3" lift you describe. With the right assembly of those parts in the kit (blocks and AAL instead of "or"), and a couple of spacers up front, you could easily get 4" out of that lift.
With shocks I was in $235 with shipping. Not bad for 4" of lift.

Tom, that's a pix of just about every switchback I have ever seen in CO :D

The replacement front coils I used have the same 152#/in spring rate as the V8 ZJs only with a 60+# overall capacity increase. They have almost 1/2" more freeheight as the V8 ZJs do. That's where the extra lift comes from... And they're only just over $100 for the pair. Just go to your local NAPA store and ask to look in their spring book. You can give the guy at the counter the party number and go from there... I'm going to go through Quadra-tec and order the 7" arch replacement HD rear leaves for the rear height. I'll determine what is next on the lift list from there. I'm planning on 33s with stock-ish flares or 35s with Iceland Offroads flares on Dana 44s eventually...

I have aproximately 400$ in my "budget lift." i have 4" of lift in the front and 4.5" in the back. everything is used off craigs except the front shocks and track bar bracket. oh and dont get a track bar bracket like i did, i hate it. save the money and get a double shear track bar. used 95' 2wd chevy s10 springs and mj shackles for the rear and skyjacker 3" springs, crawlerready offroad true 1" spacers, skyjacker control arms, and procomp shocks. ride wise its not bad, it actually rides better than my 98 wrangler with 2" rubicon express lift did. so firmer than stock but not horrible either(especially for 400$). oh and yes im running 33's.

jeeplifted003.jpg

BBTurn1.jpg

Looks like Black Bear Pass!

Back