• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Shocks For My Rig (long arms) and Her Rig [(Homebrew 3") Also Track Bar Q?]

brianglawson

NAXJA Forum User
Which Shocks For My Rig (long arms) and Her Rig [(Homebrew 3") Also Track Bar Q?]

Jeep #1 Mine
4.5 springs with coil spacers, around 6.5" front
4.5 leafs with 2" shackles, around 6.5" rear
currently with CAD and fixed arms,
ABOUT to be 3 Linked!!!

Im about to throw on some goodies on my 98 with 6.5" and soon to be 3 Link w/panhard bar. I know I'm going to be doing some measuring on mine to figure out lengths (anxious for crazy long travel, but i do have a few questions.
1. With Long arms, how do people mount the front shocks on the top? surely not the stock, stem mounts?
2. Do people modify their upper rear mounts?
3. I will probably have to cut my axle mounts off and rotate them on them on the rear axle, due to pinion angle, Are their better mounts or is reusing them fine?
4. WHAT BRAND?????
4a. Bilstein? I only see them in 6" lift heights for Xjs.... Even with barpins, would that be enough droop????
4b. OME?? do they even make stuff that long??
4c. Rancho Adjustable? rs9000x???
5. do I really want to fork out for remote reservoirs? probably..lol
6. a break down of long travel shock tech??? I'm very mechanically aware... I do lots of work on various cars... But this is new to me!
7. How much travel is too much travel???? what to do when measuring?

JEEP #2 The Wife's 2000
So I just bought a 2000 Cherokee for the wife and will be doing a budget boost to give her what she wants :)

BB will consist of:
Jeep Grand Cherokee ORVIS V8 UpCountry Coils
1 3/4 Daystar Coil Spacers
6-Leaf Rear Pack, 2 Xj Main Leafs, 2 XJ second leafs, Xj third and fourth.
Possibly an adjustable trackbar, or just redrill, whatever i feel more comfortable with
Stock Control arms for comfort, but shim the lowers.
T/C Drop

Hoping for about 3" total!!!

Obvioulsy hers will be a DD rig on 30's or 31's. maye 245/16's depending on what wheels we get. My main goal for her is SAFETY. She wants a little lift, so I want it to be done right. Hence, full leafs in the rear instead of a shackle, and also the stiffer front coils instead of just a spacer. I would settle for 2" of lift, but I figure why not go for 3" when it wouldn't be causing any issues. I definitely want to liven the handling up, it is too mushy now with old shocks and stock spongy springs and whatnot. I figure the UpCountry Orivs V8 springs and 6 Leaf spring pack should help that out! My main concern for her is the TRACK BAR! Then the shocks...

1. What should I do for her Track Bar? Redrill? or buy an adjustable? I once had a rusty's adjustable (tie rod end style, which is what she would get at only 3" apparently, i have seen no Double Sheer rods at that price) at 4.5" of lift(came with the kit) and the tie rod end sheered when going around a curve on me!!! damn near wrecked. Another friend's sheered and he flipped his rig!!!
2. Shocks????? More budget minded on this scenario than on my Rig :)
2a. Monroe Reflex ZJ Upcountry shocks for the front and Reflex MJ shocks for the rear. This should cover a 3" lift just fine
2b. Rancho Rs5000 3" shocks?
2c. Rusty's 3"???
2d. BDS? Teraflex? any others that arent too expensive??? Theyall seem the same, even the Rancho and the Rusty's.... all have the exact same list of specs basically
•Complete Poly Bushing Kit Included
•10 stage velocity sensitive valving
•240 hour salt spray resistant finish
•5/8 diameter hardened chrome shaft
•13/8 diameter piston
•Expanded tube design for increased fluid capacity
•Double wall construction
•Internal rebound bumper
•Double welded mount
•Vehicle specific valving
•Limited Lifetime Warranty
•Shock Boots sold Separately
•Priced Individually
Or... there are the Gabriel Auto Shocks, or whatever they are called from Autozon in the same specifications as the first option!!!

What do you guys think???

Again... I want mine to FLEX!!!..lol

But her rig rally needs to be a good riding, well handling.... C0MFORTABLE rig... it will only see sandy beaches and dirt roads... so I know what I want is out there:)

Thanks
-Brian

Re: Which Shocks For My Rig (long arms) and Her Rig [(Homebrew 3") Also Track Bar Q?]

For hers, just get the Old Man Emu suspension upgrade. She will be kissing your feet.....and something else.....when she discovers how nice it rides. ;)

Re: Which Shocks For My Rig (long arms) and Her Rig [(Homebrew 3") Also Track Bar Q?]

well for your wife's Jeep, I would run the JK rubicon shocks... they are a little longer and a different design than lesser JKs... they are good for 2-5" lift maybe more with shock extenders

I have them on a RC 3" lift that I found in the junk yard for $70 and it rides VERY smooth

you can usually get them for next to nothing, sometimes even free, with next to 0 miles on them.... people buy the JK and lift it and throw their stock shocks in the trash

WHat's required for JK shocks to mount up?

http://fitchva.com/jeep/?p=50

or something like this: http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/m...RPINELIM&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Shock

p_9604.jpg

cool
so What aboutthe Track Bar????????

also, this is killing me, how many shock companies sell the same shock????
anyone know???
Rustys, Rancho, Rough Country, and more... all of them seem to sell the exact same shock, just painted or labeled different... who actually makes there own, or has better other than OME and Bilstein?????

Rock Krawler for the track bar

I put Bilstein 5150's on the rear of my XJ, and love them. Yes, the rear axle shock mounts were relocated/rotated with the change for pinion angle. I am at a bit more than 7.5 in lift, and it flexes great... though I need to do rear bump stops in the near future. The front has great travel, when I do those shocks, will likely go with a rebuildable Bilstein.

I did end up cutting the tail pipe off and going to a down-turn. The exhaust was just too close to the shock resevior for comfort.

5150s, you'll thank me later. I have TNT longarm upfront about 5.5" lift and I have the 12" travel ones. I would get the 10" travel ones as I can't max them out and I have crazy flex...like I need limiting straps amounts of flex. You'll probably want to run limiting straps too. I have the stud eliminators (or whatever you call them) up top and BPEs on the bottom. Don't just order the shocks for a generic 6" lift, measure, then order. Then throw whatever in the rear, it won't matter as much.....it's gonna ride like a Cadillac, seriously.

OMEs would be nice for the wifes....but why not 5150 that thing too!!!

5150s, you'll thank me later. I have TNT longarm upfront about 5.5" lift and I have the 12" travel ones. I would get the 10" travel ones as I can't max them out and I have crazy flex...like I need limiting straps amounts of flex. You'll probably want to run limiting straps too. I have the stud eliminators (or whatever you call them) up top and BPEs on the bottom. Don't just order the shocks for a generic 6" lift, measure, then order. Then throw whatever in the rear, it won't matter as much.....it's gonna ride like a Cadillac, seriously.

OMEs would be nice for the wifes....but why not 5150 that thing too!!!
How do you like the TNT long arms? How's the ride?
Would you mind sharing your build info and maybe some pics??
Thanks,
Brian

5150s all the way brian. I actually ordered mine through trail gear. They were the cheapest I could fine. I took a holesaw to the front upper mount, made custom brackets above the fender, and ran longer shocks. The back I actually shortened the stock shock mounts on the axle for clearance and ran a shorter shock.

I took a holesaw to the front upper mount, made custom brackets above the fender, and ran longer shocks.

pics? interested in what ya did

What kind of valving do you guys recommend for the front 5150's?

I'm interested as well. 3.5 inch, armor/ long arms.

pics? interested in what ya did
Sam, have you not seen mine?

I did something similar. Large hole were the mount used to be up to a pair of tabs mounted on a piece of 1.75" DOM the lands on top of the plated spring tower, then add a couple gussets here and there.

It is a tight fit, especially with a larger MC (stock in the photo below) I don't have any finished pictures with all the gussets and bracing (I can get 'em if you want). I would think you'd want a cross bar over the engine if you did something like this will all the air that ends up underneath your front tires. Here it is in the mockup stages:
f1irgw.jpg

2cys3ns.jpg

FrontUpperShockMount_Pass.jpg

5150s all the way brian. I actually ordered mine through trail gear. They were the cheapest I could fine. I took a holesaw to the front upper mount, made custom brackets above the fender, and ran longer shocks. The back I actually shortened the stock shock mounts on the axle for clearance and ran a shorter shock.

Kris, I'm leaning towards these. I too was thinking about shortening the mounts on the corporate when I have them cut off to rotate them. I need to figure something out for the front though. I suppose the adapters will do at first!

What kind of wheeling are you doing? I'm running 360/80 valving in my front 7100s. 255/70 in my rears, wish I had gone stiffer out back, love the front. Works great on high speed stuff, hitting whoops and all that without hindering flex over the rocks. If you can afford them, I recommend 7100s. You can get them with or without reservoirs, and without they're not much more than 5150s, but are rebuildable so you never have to buy new shocks again.

We (my wife and I) have the same components on our Expedition XJ. It does ride very well.

Are you using any coil spring spacers or just the 5.5" coils with factory isolators?

Bilsteins for the big one. OME's for the little one. :D

are there seriously no decent cheaper shocks out there for the little one???? I dont care to fork out money for something like 7100's for my rig.... but man.. Id like to save a few bucks on hers...lol

She wont be wheeling crazy or anything...
Me personally, I'm not sure... My living situation isnt decided for next year.. I could be living at the beach, or further back in the mountains, or even down in the Hills of NC, so its up in the air as to what my jeep will be seeing!

Back