• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newby

Jeepfred

NAXJA Forum User
[FONT=&quot]This is my everyday vehicle. I was wondering if I need to change my gears from stock? I want it to drive ok on the street too. I plan on getting lockers in the future. Any other suggested upgrades?

[/FONT]1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ
4.5” rough country suspension lift kit
Cold air intake
Rugged ridge header
Flowtech exhaust & catalytic converter
BBK Throttle Body
1” throttle body spacer
Aluminum valve cover
Jet Performance chip – stage 1
Performance ignition system
Accel ignition coil
Flowcool water pump
Voltage Regulator
Warn front & rear bumper
Warn M6000 recovery winch – 6,000 lb pulling power
Mickey Thompson Wheels – 15x8
ProComp Extreme 33X12.5” M/T[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tow Package[/FONT]

Thanks

The Rough Country lift is a good start, that's what I ended up putting on mine. For lockers, I have the Richmond Gear Powertrax front and rear. They seem to work quite well.

As for the throttle body spacer and the Jet chip, save your money. The only way to get any more power out of the 4.0 is one of 3 routes:

A. Cam it, Lunati makes some nice Voodoo series camshafts for the 4.0

B. Stroke it, commonly coupled with option A

C. Forced induction, most often done with options A and B thrown in

I rebuilt my 4.0 stock, except for throwing on a Pacesetter header. It seems to motivate my Cherokee quite nicely.

As far as ignition goes, I haven't modified mine. The only thing I did was go a heat range colder since the 10% ethanol crap we get now burns hotter. The stock heat range plugs were getting ash deposits. My preference is the Autolite AR3924 plug. I've been running them since August of last year and they burn nice and tan.

4.56 gears would be a good choice for you. I am on stock gears with 32's and it kinda sucks. it still has some go to it but its getting a little sluggish. Can't wait to get the ole girl geared though.

As for your bumper choice, You can save a LOT of money buying bumpers from other vendors................which could go toward gearing.

These guys have some nice bumpers:
www.jcroffroad.com (I have their stage 4 front and stage 3 rear bumpers)
www.dirtboundoffroad.com
www.ajsoffroadarmor.com

Last edited:
It's hard to say for sure but I think he may be saying that he already has those upgrades.

Back