• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Splash guard

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Ok, my splash guard (the heavy fabric piece that's below the engine protecting it from mud and other crap) has seen better days. I recall seeing someone post info on making one at home from...... something. Problem is I can't find the thread and I am trying to figure out what that something was as I can't figure out what material would be good to use for that purpose.

Thanks

I've heard of using tire splash matts from big rigs as a possible material.

I made a replacement one out of conveyor belt material, when the local grocery store replaced theirs.....the material was free. I used the old one as a template....

If you have the old one as a template any non absorbent semi-rigid material will do. Thick rubber such as large mudflaps would seem like it would be too heavy to me, the OEM stuff seems to be some kind of heavy cardboard. maybe chip board from an art store would work well but it would be more rigid than the OEM alternative. I have the majority of a large sheet of chip board here if you would like to give that a try Remi, just give me a call.

If you have the old one as a template any non absorbent semi-rigid material will do. Thick rubber such as large mudflaps would seem like it would be too heavy to me, the OEM stuff seems to be some kind of heavy cardboard. maybe chip board from an art store would work well but it would be more rigid than the OEM alternative. I have the majority of a large sheet of chip board here if you would like to give that a try Remi, just give me a call.

Chip board?? What is that?

Kejtar,
on a thread, a while back,(few months) mentioned one of the big online parts had OEM new ones for around $30.

Also some info in "similar threads" at bottom of this page.

Last edited:
Kejtar,
on a thread, a while back,(few months) mentioned one of the big online parts had OEM new ones for around $30.

Also some info in "similar threads" at bottom of this page.

When did those links on bottom started to show up? Shows I pay attention to detail ;) Anyways, found the $30 replacement piece.... but $10 shipping... ugh.... might end up going that route...

I don't think anything as stiff as chip board would work very well, since the shield tucks around things. And I'd hesitate to use rubber without a fabric ply in it, becaus there's a lot of stress at the mounting points. I really like the grocery conveyor material as an option.

I just ripped mine off, since I don't do much mudding, but an looking eventually to replace it, so I'll have to keep my eyes open for some of that stuff.

Back