• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odometer/Speedometer/tach inputs 97+

Elusive DingleWolf

NAXJA Forum User
Hello All,

I am in the market for a 97+ cherokee to swap a diesel into. the diesel I choose will be fully mechanical injection, so I will have no need for an ECU. I plan on finding a 5 speed, or swapping an auto to 5 speed.

This leads me to my main question. What drives the speedometer, odometer, and tachometer on these new(er) cherokees? Crank pos sensor? I'm just thinking ahead to see what I can put in place for the gauge cluster to still function. I would assume all other gauges are typical senders without a intermediate bus or anything. I realize that I may have to keep the cherokee ECU in place and trick the system by using inputs from the diesel engine....

anyone know? thanks!

the spped signal come from the spped sesnor

the speed sensor signal comes from the speed sensor on the tail housing of the transfer case if it is a 4x4. or from the speed sensor on the tail housing of the of the transmission. the signal then goes to the p.cm. the pcm sends the signal to the cluster.all electronic.you will have to find a cable driven cluster. probably something like 1990 or earlier.everything from 91 to 01 is electronic. all Chrysler electronics.

in theroy it should work. but the check engine light will be on for every sensor and solenoid that is not hooked up.i would find a 1990 or earlier cluster cable and speedo gear and housing.

Back