• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1986 Dana 30 different from newer ones?

Norwegian

NAXJA Forum User
I just got an '86 D30 with an Aussie and 4.10's in it for cheap.
As i tear into it it seems different from both my '90 and my '94 and most the parts listings i find from vendors state '87 up..

Are they really different? I noticed the calipers and mounts/knuckles are different but the important thing is inside the diff.. can i use a cross shaft for a '87 up D30?

Also as i'm looking thru the opened diffcover it seems there's quite a bit of play when i spin the driveshaft side of it before the carrier actually starts to move. Could i be looking at a pinion replacement? It kinda seems like the Aussie has a bit of play around the cross shaft..

I wanna go over this as much as i can before i shove it under my '90 XJ.

Btw i've just got 35"s on it so the 30 should be strong enough. D44's are really hard to find over here.

Got a closer look just now. The ring and pinion gears look fine .
What i see is some play between the cross shaft and the Aussie and i just don't know if that's to be expected or if it's worn..
Any insight would be great.

I'm also a bit confused as to how the Aussie actually works. Sitting still now it's seems locked and the little springs look to be pushing it into locked position. How does it retract and unlock?

Got a closer look just now. The ring and pinion gears look fine .
What i see is some play between the cross shaft and the Aussie and i just don't know if that's to be expected or if it's worn..
Any insight would be great.

I'm also a bit confused as to how the Aussie actually works. Sitting still now it's seems locked and the little springs look to be pushing it into locked position. How does it retract and unlock?

Sounds normal to me,the springs are always pushing the "dog" couplers together.The slop in the crosshaft is what allows the over-speed axle to release.

Back