• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ Front end with pictures

remington_2010

NAXJA Forum User
I wasn't able to get anything figured out with my last post, so I figured I'd take some pictures of my front end to see if anyone notices something out of wack. Death wobble is killing me. Everything is tight, with no play in any joints. The drivers side spring is about 3/8" away from the knuckle while the passenger is actually touching. That's the only thing i can find out of wack. I've done the tape measure alignment and toe is at 1/8th in, caster appear close, and the axle seems to be sitting 1/2" closer to the passenger side on the front...

Your axle needs to be moved further to the passenger side.
Unrelated to death wobble but it also looks like your rear pinion is a on the low side since you have and SYE.
How does your front pinion look?

Last edited:
By looking at your 2nd picture it looks like your drop pitman arm is actually causing it. Your drag-link and track-bar must remain parallel but in your photo they seem to actually intersect at the top. Draw a line from bolt to ball-joint for both and see if they are parallel.

By looking at your 2nd picture it looks like your drop pitman arm is actually causing it. Your drag-link and track-bar must remain parallel but in your photo they seem to actually intersect at the top. Draw a line from bolt to ball-joint for both and see if they are parallel.

That will cause bump steer not death wobble, but I would agree that the angles look off, the stock pittman arm will probably work better.

The drag link and track bar are parallel but the drag link is about inch lower than the trackbar. If I used the stock on the angle would be way worse wouldn't it?

You have to draw a line from mounting point to mounting point to check, yours is off, the OE pittamn arm would be better.

20110415102715.jpg

Try swapping the front and rear tires anyways. Just to see if it makes a difference.

Maybe the guy who balanced them was having a bad day?? Just a thought.

Oh and check your lug nuts first. Make sure they're all still tight.

Check your lower control arm bushings CLOSELY. The sleeve in the rubber like to disconnect itself and slide around inside. Thats what the cause of mine was when everything else was absolutely fine and I could see absolutely no movement with someone turning the wheel. Thats where my money is especially since you have short arms.

Second pic looks like the passenger axle control arm bushing is off to one side, but i can't really tell.

YOU GUYS ARE THE BOMB!

The track bar bushing on the axle was so tight the bushing was smashed. when i loosened it just a turn or so the bushing had about a 1/4" of play and made a pretty loud squeeking noise. Also should the control arm bushings not move at all when just having someone bump the steering wheel left and right?

Back