• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my xj wont start

eddieusmc

NAXJA Forum User
i know itsbroad but i parke my 2001 xj yeserday. went out to leave today and it wouldnt start. for a while now it has been running rough when the temp gets above 215. no one that i ride with has this newer model and can tell me what it is. i already checked the fuel pump and fuses it seems like its not firing but i dont know how to troubleshoot the coil on plug system or if its a sensor. if you guys could help out i would be greatful

You're gonna have to give more info. Is it an automatic? Does the starter crank the engine but it doesn't turn over or does the starter not even crank?

temp is first issue I see.... 4.0's do not like much above 210, you will find most of us agree on that, and you say you are getting higher temps then 215..--how much higher??--

When you say doesn't start are you talking
--it will crank but will not fire
--it will not crank at all(if so any weird clicking sounds when the key is turned?)

running that hot check the oil-does it look contaminated
is there any coolant loose that you have noticed?
--yes I'm going somewhere with the ?'s..
if it overheated and is continuing to do so you may have blown a head gasket and had fluids go where they are not suppose to be and fouled some things out.

Is there an engine light on while it was drivable. If so get it read. If the battery has been disco'd since them then you are s.o.l on codes being read I think unless the new ones are diff then the older XJ's.

There are alot of sensors that can cause it to not start. map sensor, coolant sensor, tps sensor, neutral safety switch, etc..

its automatic with np231 its turns over but doesnt start even with starting fluid. the coil pack is only six months old.ive put the charger on the battery to see if it was cranking too slowly but its not very old either the steering collumn has been busted at the ignition where the key goes in but hasnt had any problems untill now (it was stolen from me) this is the first real problem it has ever had other than a stopped up cat

The Crankshaft position sensor is the suspected culprit. It is located in the bellhousing at about the 1 o'clock position(from front of vehicle) on the driver's side. The connector is located on the fuel rail mount closest to the driver's side firewall--try unplugging it and replugging it. If that doesn't temporarily fix it, the sensor is held in by two 11mm bolts and will require 2-3 long extensions and a wobbly/u-joint and you'll have to get to it under the driver's side floor, inbetween the tranny and front driveshaft. A second person above @ driver's side fender holding the socket to the bolts will help you for your first time.

the steering collumn has been busted at the ignition where the key goes in but hasnt had any problems untill now (it was stolen from me) this is the first real problem it has ever had other than a stopped up cat

OK that was definitely a need to know... Does your key have a chip in it? There are a few wires in that ignition switch that if busted will not let you start the jeep bu I do not think that would cause it to run rough till it finally wouldn't start though.

The crank position sensor can mess it up to....opps just noticed Gradon beat me to that..lol

it was running perfect when i parked it yesterday and no to the chip in the key. it only ran rough when it got around 215 when it was started but would level out and run fine after getting some cool air so it knda made me think it was a sensor shortingout when it got hot but idk. ive had it scanned counless times and never had a code come up and the engine light has never came on it has 63000 miles on it. ill check that sensor i hope its somethig simple

the sensor is making sense to me but i had no clue where to start looking. thak u guys alot for the help. ill check it out in the morning and let u guys know if thats the problem. i really need to replace the steering collumn but they are hard to come by around here at a fair price and only a 98 and newer will work i think

Back