• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stiff steering after parts repacement

lectrode

NAXJA Forum User
I don't know if this post goes here or in Modified because I went
with a 93' YJ steering box.
Mods feel free to move as need be.

I have a 87' XJ and the power steering box was pretty loose,had play &
basically worn out.It was leaking fluid from the steering wheel shaft area as well.

The pump started whining and the warmer the fluid became the louder the whine.

But I have always been able to turn it with one finger even when at a stop.
I run 15x35x12.5's,4.88's,locked front & rear,HD tie rod.

I just installed a reman. 93' YJ box,new ps pump,pulley,new hoses & a ps pump
cooler.Now it is stiff,pretty darn stiff,takes more than one finger.I can turn it
with one hand though.Seems like there is alot more resistance
or friction than should be or is that what a new box feels like or is it because it's
a 93' JY box?

Went wheeling yesterday evening to see how it would work in tight area's
such as down in dry gullies.It was not as easy as when I had the old stuff,
at idle not moving it did not want to turn very good just felt like there was alot
resistance or stiffness.I don't know how to describe it very well.

I was hoping someone may have had a similar experience or could shine some light
on this subject.

Month or so ago I replaced tie rod ends,drag link & steering stabilizer so it's
not any of those because the steering was still easy as was before replacing
those parts.

Thanks for all those that reply!

My steering is the same way except I burnt my pump and haven't replaced it. Good luck!

If you can turn it with one hand while stopped, and the stiffness is uniform throughout the steering range, then it's probably ok. The early XJs had extremely high boost on the power steering; swapping a box from other models (or even a later model XJ) would stiffen up the steering to some extent.

What would concern me more is binding while turning the wheel. If you had any significant amount of air in the system you'd know it by the whining from the PS pump.

No whining from new pump at all.Could you elaborate a little on what you
mean by binding,because when turning at stop it kinda feels like binding.

Myabe I'm just not used to it yet,I don't know.

Binding would feel like it suddenly gets tighter in a certain spot while you turn the wheel (not from hitting the steering stops, obviously). It means that something inside your gearbox, or somewhere in the steering shafts/linkages, is getting stuck. If you can definetly feel binding in the steering I would not drive it until you can fix it.

Binding would feel like it suddenly gets tighter in a certain spot while you turn the wheel (not from hitting the steering stops, obviously). It means that something inside your gearbox, or somewhere in the steering shafts/linkages, is getting stuck. If you can definetly feel binding in the steering I would not drive it until you can fix it.

Then it must not be binding,but man it's tight.
Do you know if it will loosen up a little? Don't get me wrong its better than
my old wore out stuff especially going down the hwy.But it kinda feels like
the cars that have rack & pinion steering you know kinda heavy feeling.Sorta like there
is friction on it.

Just did not expect this drastic of a change.

Just now noticed my misspelling of replacement,I was in a hurry. Sorry

I don't know if this post goes here or in Modified because I went
with a 93' YJ steering box.
Mods feel free to move as need be.

I have a 87' XJ and the power steering box was pretty loose,had play &
basically worn out.It was leaking fluid from the steering wheel shaft area as well.

The pump started whining and the warmer the fluid became the louder the whine.

But I have always been able to turn it with one finger even when at a stop.
I run 15x35x12.5's,4.88's,locked front & rear,HD tie rod.

I just installed a reman. 93' YJ box,new ps pump,pulley,new hoses & a ps pump
cooler.Now it is stiff,pretty darn stiff,takes more than one finger.I can turn it
with one hand though.Seems like there is alot more resistance
or friction than should be or is that what a new box feels like or is it because it's
a 93' JY box?

Went wheeling yesterday evening to see how it would work in tight area's
such as down in dry gullies.It was not as easy as when I had the old stuff,
at idle not moving it did not want to turn very good just felt like there was alot
resistance or stiffness.I don't know how to describe it very well.

I was hoping someone may have had a similar experience or could shine some light
on this subject.

Month or so ago I replaced tie rod ends,drag link & steering stabilizer so it's
not any of those because the steering was still easy as was before replacing
those parts.

Thanks for all those that reply!

I'm not sure about the YJ part, but at some point in the model run, XJ's got significantly less boost. The difference between the 87 and 95 was quite noticeable. So if you're used to the 87, and a well worn one at that, it could be just a matter of style. My 87 steered feather-light, but later ones do not.

I'm not sure about the YJ part, but at some point in the model run, XJ's got significantly less boost. The difference between the 87 and 95 was quite noticeable. So if you're used to the 87, and a well worn one at that, it could be just a matter of style. My 87 steered feather-light, but later ones do not.

X2

My 89 will turn if you breath too hard on it, while my 01 feels like what you are describing.

Back