• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 in lift on 98 SE, long arm lca?

stockli

NAXJA Forum User
I am putting a 3 in lift on my 98 in a few weeks (waiting for a nice day!) and I was wondering if I can use Long arm LCA's or would it be better to just go with a high quality set of adjustable regular length LCA's?

What would you guys recommend and what would be the best brand to buy as far as strength and quality?

I want to make sure my lift and jeep can grow with me as I get bigger better and more bold with my jeep!

Thanks guys!

long arm kits are better, and significantly more money, you dont need long arms at 3", and very few KITS come with long arms at that height. you may be able to get a long arm kit and shorter springs. this will leave you with a nicer ride, and if you ever up the lift, you'll be ready in that regards.

i'd just get a good set of adjustable arms at that height though.

Thanks guys!
What brand would you recommend, I've been eyeing iron man, but would love suggestions from guys that know 7

long arm kits wont even work well with less than 4" lift. This is because you run the risk of running the arm into the "frame" under normal driving, not to mention that you WILL get interference if flexing off road unless you bumpstop the crap out of it. stick with short arm if youre for sure going 3".

PS: most people will tell you that Ironman is real high quality, IMO you wont be going wrong if you get those

you should consider running JK front lower and upper control arms... just make some mounts... you can use XJ lower control arm adjusters and then they will be adjustable

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245303949&postcount=12

For the love of god, never show that picture as a "proper" link setup.
Like I've said before, the LCAs are in a great spot, but the UCAs are all wrong. That suspension setup is scary, and potentially dangerous.

OP, like others have said, at 3" of lift you'll be fine with short arms that are set to the correct length.
Here's a link with a table that tells you exactly what length links you will need for different lift heights. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/re_db.html (scroll to the bottom)

As far as which brand to get, there are quite a few to choose from.
Checkout Rockkrawler if you haven't already. They have a lifetime warranty, and are fairly inexpensive. I just got in on a sale and got a great price on some UCAs.

A
Checkout Rockkrawler if you haven't already. They have a lifetime warranty, and are fairly inexpensive. I just got in on a sale and got a great price on some UCAs.

This is a good suggestion. 3" lift from RK with JKS adjustable upper and lower control arms (their adjustable track-bar also) and OME Nitro shock absorbers. That would make for a very comfortable driving experience.

when i was at 3" i ran stock arms and had no problem. if you have the money for long arms i would look into a 4.5" kit. just my 2 cents

I ran a hybrid RE 3.5" lift/LA setup for over a year with absolutely no issues. Didn't have to bumpstop the crap out of it, no issues with LA's hitting the unibody, nothing. Road like a dream on the street AND offroad. Running the same setup now, only changes are I've added another inch for a total of 4.5" of lift on long-arms w/ 33x12.50 tires. Great setup.

I didn't see the point in spending money twice by throwing short-arms on it initially then ditching 'em for long-arms later. Especially since it was possible to make a smaller lift work perfectly fine with them. However, I had the extra money for them at the time, which is one of the main reasons I decided to step up to LA's right out the gate.

First post and new to XJs so sorry for the neb question but with 35s can I lower from 5.5 to 4.5 or even 3.5 springs with LA. Looking to stop some of the "wallowing" and spongy feeling of the jeep.

I know fitment will become an issue but just checking.

For the love of god, never show that picture as a "proper" link setup.
Like I've said before, the LCAs are in a great spot, but the UCAs are all wrong. That suspension setup is scary, and potentially dangerous.

I agree the guy made some mistakes, but it is a good start and it would not take much to make it work correctly

First post and new to XJs so sorry for the neb question but with 35s can I lower from 5.5 to 4.5 or even 3.5 springs with LA. Looking to stop some of the "wallowing" and spongy feeling of the jeep.

I know fitment will become an issue but just checking.
I've test-fit my friend's 35's on my setup, and they work pretty damn well. Could probably stand to trim a little more metal off the fenders to maximize the flex and clearance.

Having said that, I'm running 4.5" and it doesn't feel spongy or wallowing at all. I'd look into your shocks, bushings, etc to make sure they're all in good shape.

Comes down to how much metal you want to chop off, and the sizing and backspacing/offset of your wheels. Keep in mind once you trim the rear fenderwells past the spot welds, you'll need to re-weld the inner wheelwell.

Back