• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I get this trim piece off? (Pic Inside)

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
See the pic below. (The piece is highlighted in Red) I'm trying to get that trim piece off of a parts Jeep to put on my own. Mine are pretty banged up. I don't want to damage the pieces on the parts Jeep, they are in pristine shape. Does anybody know how to take them off correctly so I don't damage them?

346rst3.jpg

sort of push the outer edge of them up. they are simply clipped on. cant say they will come off without getting at least a little bent, but im sure if youre careful you can minimize it.

wrap the bottle cap side of an old "church key" in masking tape and use it just like you're opening a bottle.

Work your way along the molding a few inches at a time and it'll pop off without damage

^good suggestion! I got both of mine off with no damage before I had my 90 painted. They are still available at the dealer as well since all year models use the same design.

The polished aluminum strips will show damage when they bend up; the regular painted ones can be sanded and repainted. I wasn't able to get mine off. The dealer didn't have them when I asked.

If you can use a heat gun to soften them first it would probably be a big help.

You might be able to make new ones with long pieces of cut-to-length door edge trim. It can be bought in 50' rolls

I lost one of mine on the freeway, ripped the other one off when I got home :D I've never had good luck with those pieces, I could never get them to stay on tight... I even tried gluing them on.

Back