• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Receiver hitch winch set-up

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
I made this a couple weeks ago before AZ Rocks,the winch was meant for my 95 but I thought I might need it that weekend.The clearance turned out better than I predicted.
P1080136.jpg

P1080137.jpg

Mine sits a little farther back towards the grille but other than that you have just as much approach angle as I do with my winch bumper...

Looks good!

I'm ready to order my Detours Backbone.

Yeah the top rail on that bumper is 2"wide(wasn't thinking about a winch when I built this bumper),on my 95 the winch is recessed into the grill at about the same height(its an actual winch bumper design though).

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind doing something like that on my 93 DD. I even have a spare brand new winch layin around I'd throw on there. I just haven't built a bumper and I've always liked the way Detours looks.

Nice Work, You should consider building & offering a few for sale!

I've done basically the same thing by trimming off the receiver neck from the custom 4x4 fab front bumper (see link, about 3/4 down the page). I set my hitch pin in the winch cradle neck between the back of the bumper and the cross member. Instead of the entire front of the vehicle jutting out for fitment of a winch as on a typical winch bumper, only the cradle sticks out. And I can take the winch off.

http://custom4x4fabrication.com/front_xj.html

how is the underside welded to the tube? just two side welds running the length or is there gusseting?
No gussets,yet. Its just welded on the sides and the front/back.
I've done basically the same thing by trimming off the receiver neck from the custom 4x4 fab front bumper (see link, about 3/4 down the page). I set my hitch pin in the winch cradle neck between the back of the bumper and the cross member. Instead of the entire front of the vehicle jutting out for fitment of a winch as on a typical winch bumper, only the cradle sticks out. And I can take the winch off.

http://custom4x4fabrication.com/front_xj.html
I built the bumper with the receiver flush,I hate anything that sticks out from a bumper(ask my head why?).
Take a close look at the second pic(pass side of the winch) and you will see that my shackle mounts are flush also!!

Last edited:
Back