• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BRAKE CALIPERS

RAM-ROD

NAXJA Forum User
I had the front drivers side caliper lock up on me over the weekend going down the highway. I managed to get it to a place i could jack up the front end. The drivers side wheel was completely locked up at this point i did not know if it was a unit bearing or brake. I figured brake being i did not hear any bearing type of noise before it happened. Anyway let it sit on the jack with the wheel off the gorund for about an hour and then i could turn it by hand. Seemed to be dragging slightly but was able to drive it home with no pulling to the drivers side. Took it apart last night. Rotor ( drilled and slotted) looks fine no scrape marks and seems to be flat ( will have machine shop check that) pads ( EBC green stuff) seem pretty glazed. Cross pins move freely...could prob be a bit better, when i removed the inner pad the cup that the pistion rides in smelled like really bad burnt brake fluid. Sugestions?what i should look for and how to know if the caliper is toast or if i should replace the pins and boots clean everything up put new pads on and go from there. brakes have been working great since i put them on over a year ago.

Sorry and the always important 2000 sport no ABS 83,000 miles as stated above rotors and pads over a year ago..about 10,000 max on them

your caliper could be hanging up on you, if it smells like burnt fluid I would replace BOTH of them and bleed the entire system until new clear fluid comes out.

Thank you for the replys i was thinking the same thing. I will get new calipers today and get them installed.

Back