• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Super 44 kit XJ/tj difference?

nochance9

NAXJA Forum User
I finally found an XJ 44 at the junk yard :party: and plan on seriously building it. I want the superior 35 spline big boy kit but can't pin down if the tj kit would work in my XJ. Any body know for sure if it would work?

The only thing that is different between the years is the retainer plates.

The only thing that is different between the years is the retainer plates.

Thank you, and I can re-use those with this kit?

Sweet! Thanks guys.

Make sure you hold onto the retainer plates that come on your XJ44. My Super 44 kit came with two sets of retainer plates, neither of which matched the bolt pattern on my XJ44. I had to reuse my old ones. Kind of bothered me that niether set worked seeing as even the stickers on the box advertised it as a TJ/XJ kit.

Good to know... you would think that for the money they could provide parts that you can actually use. :dunno:

Overall are you happy with the set up?

is either of the 2 sets for a rubicon? those are the retainers you need for most disc brake conversions... maybe they assume you want to convert to discs? it saved me going to the dealer when i bought a set of alloy usa axles.

is either of the 2 sets for a rubicon? those are the retainers you need for most disc brake conversions... maybe they assume you want to convert to discs? it saved me going to the dealer when i bought a set of alloy usa axles.

Highly possible since its for tjs too and 44s are most commonly found in rubicon models... I'll hang on to the extras for sure cause a disk swap is possible in the future. Or even sell em to recoup some of the dough I'm gonna dump in this stupid axle. Haha

I think one set was for drums (completely flat) and the other was for disks (raised lip around the axle tube hole). Both have the exact same bolt pattern, neither matched the XJ44.

Aside from that, I've been very happy thus far with my Super 44 Kit. I went with the 33 spline shafts and an ARB. I'm only running 33x10.5's so I figure they should be more than sufficient. I also modified mine to work with ABS. This is the first time I've ever run a locker, so for me the difference is night and day. The one down side is that they're not common so you're unlikely to find anyone else on your run with a spare. Granted I bought my Super kits to try to avoid breaking an axle in the first place, but I'm looking at $300 for a set of spares, just for the 44. Spares for my Super 30 kit will run me about $300-400 minimum. Apparently they don't make cheap shafts for the larger spline count lockers.

Nice find on the ABS info! :D

Hadn't seen that JK44 adapter kit. Looks pretty slick. I think your set-up will be pretty bomb proof (for a 44) between that and the 35 spline shafts. It does introduce more non-standard parts into the mix, but looks like it could very well be worth the added trouble/inconvenience. Seems to me it would move the weak link to your driveshaft u-joints. Much easier fix on the trail than either a shaft or a R&P. :thumbup:

Nice find on the ABS info! :D

Hadn't seen that JK44 adapter kit. Looks pretty slick. I think your set-up will be pretty bomb proof (for a 44) between that and the 35 spline shafts. It does introduce more non-standard parts into the mix, but looks like it could very well be worth the added trouble/inconvenience. Seems to me it would move the weak link to your driveshaft u-joints. Much easier fix on the trail than either a shaft or a R&P. :thumbup:

He has kits for putting 50 gears in a hp44, 70 gears in a 60, and 80 gears in a 70 too. And at 150 bucks more ( subtracting what you would usually pay for a rebuild kit) I can't say no to something like that, especially knowing that my gears are a possible weak link. I would always prefer to swap a shaft or a shaft u-joint than a R&P! Course this will also be treated to a custom truss and ruffstuff cover, or maybe one of his cover girdles.. I'm a ways off for worrying about that though haha.

Back