• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pressure in Gas Tank

DXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '95 with the 4lt and automatic.

When I remove the gas cap there is a lot of pressure in it. It hisses excessively, to me. I can't be 100% sure but it seems to be worse than it used to be. I don't remember it doing this when new. I think it is getting worse. I put a new gas cap on it but it does the same thing.

I need to get it smogged here in California in a few months and want to be sure if it's a smog issue I have it straightened out before the test.

Any ides? Is this normal and I am just being paranoid?

You should check the charcoal cannister and the tubing to it from the tank. I disconnect the tank-to-cannister tube from the cannister and blow through it, having someone listen at the (open) filler neck. The tank is vented to the cannister, and when the engine is running it flushes air through the charcoal and burns the volatile gasses.

It is an emissions issue; whether it will be noted in the smog test or not, I don't know. I think in CA the test stations are private business that want to sell repairs when they find anything. That makes them fairly astute at noticing discrepancies...

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back