• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Upgrade Q

98xj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so im takin the chance and while the jeep is in the garage for awhile im swapping out the rear axle. I am heading toward picking up an 8.8 explorer with 4.10s and putting that in place of the d35, my question is whether the axle strengths are different from 6CYL to 8CYL explorers. I can find alot of axles with the gear ratio i want but there in the 6CYL fords. I know that there's a difference in splines but im upgrading to 31 spline axles, but is there any other difference's in need to worry about?

V8 and V6 explorer rear axles are both 31 spline and the same although they may come with different gear ratios.

hmm, i was told otherwise about the spline count, thanx man.

even the early explorers are 31 spline but with drums.

the ranger 8.8s had lesser spline counts mostly.

look on the drivers door, the sticker where the vin is, on the bottom there will be a 2 digit axle code you are looking for a D2.... thats a 31 spline, 4:10, with a LSD (posi traction), and disk brakes

Axle Codes for all ford explorers and rangers
(number codes have drum brakes and the D codes stand for Disk)

L - Limited Slip Differential
C - Conventional Differential
Code Ratio
41 3.27C
42 4.10C
43 3.08C
45 3.55C
46 3.73C
D1 3.27L
D2 4.10L
D4 3.73L
D5 3.55L

there are rangers with the same axle but they are extremely hard to find they are the newer FX4s

i also thing you will need a u-joint conversion because of how the drive line and pinion mount.. im new to xjs so someone may be able to help you out better

hope this helps!

i also thing you will need a u-joint conversion because of how the drive line and pinion mount.. im new to xjs so someone may be able to help you out better

Not really an issue. You have three options:

1). Use the Explorer companion flange which uses a 1330 u-joint and go to the auto parts store and get a conversion joint (1330 one side and 1310 other side)
2). Use a companion flange off of a Grand Marquis 8.8 and it will be 1310 (don't know the exact years for you though)
3). Buy an actual 1310 yold from Summit or a drivetrain supplier.

Not really an issue. You have three options:

1). Use the Explorer companion flange which uses a 1330 u-joint and go to the auto parts store and get a conversion joint (1330 one side and 1310 other side)
2). Use a companion flange off of a Grand Marquis 8.8 and it will be 1310 (don't know the exact years for you though)
3). Buy an actual 1310 yold from Summit or a drivetrain supplier.

most likely pick up an 1310 from summit

its only 20$ for the yoke conversion flange.

its only 20$ for the yoke conversion flange.

Free at the yard when it is bolted to the axle when you are purchasing it ;)

Back