• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bar pin eliminators

bananaclip

NAXJA Forum User
Could you guy's and girls recommend a set of bar pin eliminators? I just installed a set of old man emu shocks and still have the annoying thump. Also I am trying to avoid raising the shocks any. So a set that will keep the shock low and in the stock mounting location.

what is causing a "thump"? if the shocks are bottoming out/over extending they will have a very short life span.

i have JKS up front, but plan to do IRO in the rear. idea for me is to permanantly replace the stock bolts and never mess with them again. 1 broke installing my lift and i was able to tap and install a new bolt with a little modification to the bar pin. because of this, the JKS one will not work for me. i suppose i could MAKE it work, but... meh.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, there is a disclaimer that the jks BPE will not work with OME shocks. A BPE will move the shock at least a little bit. How much depends on the exact one you use.

check and see if you can rotate the piston in the shock. if you cant for some reason, that will severely limit your options

also, I dont believe you can use ANY BPEs in the front that wont lift the shock at all, its just the nature of the stock design

BC it rotates the shock 90deg and will cause it to bind on flex. BPE's can be made from 1" angle cheap. I have been using the same ones in the rear for 8 or 9 years.

BC it rotates the shock 90deg and will cause it to bind on flex. BPE's can be made from 1" angle cheap. I have been using the same ones in the rear for 8 or 9 years.

so most of the production BPEs available are going to cause binding issues? that sucks

Dunno about most but some do. Terraflax BPEs are twisted. Rocky Road BPEs aren't but they have other problems (I have the RR and don't like them). Zone Offroad's look similar to the ones from Rocky Road but probably don't have the quality problems (guessing), I'd look at those.

Detours has some spacers they call "Shock Relocators" which provide a functional equivalent. They look like they might suffer from leverage issues but I don't have any experience with them or know anybody who uses them.

I don't like the setup from JKS, it seems too complicated.

so most of the production BPEs available are going to cause binding issues? that sucks

Most of the better ones are fine,they do not change the shock orientation.

I have RC's BPE (the 1089, same orientation as the bar pin) in the rear, but I believe it drops the mounting point around 3/4". (edit- are we correct in guessing that you're only concerned with the fronts? In that case, these won't keep the same mounting position, but I don't think any standard BPE would do that.)

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xtras_barpin-eliminator.html

It was worth it just to be done with the stock mounting bolts in my case.

At least the OME's I have, the bar pin is pretty much adhered to the bushing in the shock. I was told not to remove it and forget about using BPE's for the OME's.

If you have brand new shocks, the bushings won't be making any noise. It's something else in your suspension. If you are bottoming out the shocks, they will make a loud thump.

its not necessarily about the bushing, some people want to not have to break the BPE bolts again, want to add droop length to the shock, or other reasons.

And you can certainly take the bar out. if it wasnt loose in the bushing you would have binding and tearing in the bushing after not too long

Believe me. I bought a set of JKS BPE's for the front and rear and those suckers aren't cheap. Had to sell them after a couple companies told me they wouldn't work. I hammered the shit out of the bar pins and tried pressing them out as well and they wouldn't budge, so I gave up. They are literally bonded to the bushing and you'll probably destroy the bushing before you get em out.

40k miles later and wheeling the crap out of them for almost 3 years, my bushings and bar pins are just fine.

To the OP: What do you think the thump is and why will BPE's solve it? Only thump from shocks I can think of is the bushing wearing out or you bottoming out the shocks.

Back