• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing D30 cross pin/shaft:

zluster

NAXJA Forum User
Working on a 01WJ replacing the front axle housing. Housing is bent and the passenger axle shaft is bound up and won't come out. Right now I'm thinking that if I can get the cross shaft out, and then the spider gears out that I will be able to put a rod through the drivers side tube and try tapping the axle shaft out.

BUT; There does not appear to be a bolt to remove to let the cross pin fall out, and I've tried giving it a few taps and nada.

So.....anyone know how to remove the cross pin from a D30?

any other thoughts for me?

Well I suppose I should have RTFM because the FSM shows you removing the carrier, then removing the pinion, and then drive out a pin that holds the cross shaft in, I get the feeling I am not going to be able to do that in this case, so I need to figure out another way to get this axle shaft out.

Blast!

I don't get how you would expect to get the U-joint ear through the axle tube any how? Or am I thinking about this wrong? try bending the housing back some? OR just source a used one, don't you think it'll be damaged anyway?

try using a LONG thin punch. you might be able to weasel it in there enough to tap out the center shaft pin out then remove spiders like you were saying. you can rotate the carrier enough to get the shaft out of the carrier. its a pain and takes some hand twisting to do it, but it can be done.

I think I'd snake a piece of chain behind the U-joint, loop it out the hub opening and either use a big slide hammer or even spot weld it to a sledge hammer. Leave yourself enough slack to get a moderate swing. If the axle shaft doesn't move, it is likely beyond salvage. You may ding things up some but are unlikely to significantly damage anything IMO.

You might try the tip off of the right punch (exact fit), maybe half inch long or so. Then somewhat softer steel rod you can bow a little so you can get a good swing with a hammer. The last 35 I did on a YJ took me awhile to figure out, but I got the rolled pin through the cross pin fairly easy once I found the right combination. The rolled pin is hollow, you need a good fit to drive it out of there.

Last edited:
If the housing is junk why not just take it out of the vehicle and cut thru the long side tube where its bent to release the pressure on the shaft if your trying to salvage the internals from it?

Back