• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durango steering box question

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning on upgrading to the durango steering box and ran into one question:

Every writeup & thread that I have found says to use a '99 dakota or durango box. Would a '98 box work as well or what are the differences?

When I search any JY inventory (using car-part.com for example) the results always list '98 and '99 together as if they are interchangeable..

If there is a difference between the two boxes is there any way to tell them apart with a quick inspection so I'm sure the JY is actually giving me a '99 box before I get home?

Edit: And can anyone confirm whether a '99 Dakota (4x4) box will work? One local yard has the '99 durango (w/o snow plow) box for $100 but another yard has the '99 dakota box for $50. Obviously I would rather get the cheaper one if it should work.

from what i understand, its either a 99' rango, or a 98 w/o towing package.
and i also believe the dakota and the durango boxes are identical they share the part number #27-7580 for the cardone steering box.

This part also fits:

Dodge10 vehicles

2 vehicles
1997 - 1998 DakotaL4 - 2.5L vin P 153ci 2507cc - MFI GAS OHV

2 vehicles
1997 - 1998 DakotaV6 - 3.9L vin X 239ci - MFI GAS OHV

2 vehicles
1997 - 1998 DakotaV8 - 5.2L vin Y 318ci - MFI GAS OHV

1 vehicles
1998 DakotaV8 - 5.9L vin Z 360ci - MFI GAS OHV

1 vehicles
1998 DurangoV6 - 3.9L vin X 239ci - MFI GAS OHV

1 vehicles
1998 DurangoV8 - 5.2L vin Y 318ci - MFI GAS OHV

1 vehicles
1998 DurangoV8 - 5.9L vin Z 360ci - MFI GAS OHV

Thanks for the replies.

I am probably going to check out JY next wkend and pull whatever I find first if it looks like it will fit. Maybe pull one from an XJ and compare. I would have pulled a random box yesterday but the local yard reorganized and I was rushed and couldn't find the dodge trucks. :doh: I think that that place does returns for credit towards another part so if it doesn't work I will just bring it back and try again :D

Back