• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hp D30 with 4.10s?

Super mud

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm trying to decide weather or not to go for 4.10s considering in my case I may be able to do it on the cheap. I've got a 8.8 which I'm planning to put a ford lsd in soon with a better clutch pattern and while I'm at it get the carrier with factory 4.10s which I've seen a few for sale. Then for the front get a d30 out a 4cyl jeep since I've got the disco version and I'd like to go through the front axle like I did the rear and clean it up + fllip the tie rod and stuff. I forgot wranglers as far as I know all have Lp's and I've still yet to see a 4cyl cherokee. I plan to go to a jeep junkyard out of state soon to search for some 80s interior parts and was wondering what my chances would be of finding a 4cyl xj. I'm on 31s with a strong lightly modded 4.0 so I'm still deciding if I want to even bother. It wouldn't be too much more effort and the lower gearing would be nice for wheeling and smokin the ricers in my town lmao. Though for normal driving it pulls pretty effortless which is why I'm undecided but unless I can find a 4.10 d30 I'll probobly leave it alone. Just looking for opinions from other people.

I have 4.10's on 31's and the gearing is perfect for me.

YJ's are HP,TJ's are LP!

I have 4.10's on 31's and the gearing is perfect for me.
What did u notice in the gear change. How is the difference on the highway? Thats my main concern considering cruising around town is nice and smooth never going above 2000rpm (unless racing the asian kids then more like 3000rpm lol) and It'll pull up hills in OD at 1000rpm without much struggle(probobly not best but it shows it pulls in the low end very well) . I've noticed in other stock newer cars the low speed gearing is tall but OD is still getting about 1800-2000rpms at ~60. (Chevy trailblazer, Ford f-150) The xj is low in 1st but OD gets me about 1500 ~60 which the last time I was on the highway I only feathered the throttle. Though this was recently after I fixed some engine components to where I'm now running peak performance and haven't done much highway driving/testing except for then.

YJ's are HP,TJ's are LP!
Hmmmm...

with 4.10 gears and 31 inch tyres i do 2250rpm at 62mph (100kmph)

and i would have to sat it feels just about perfect, and probably gets its best fuel economy with this set up

There is no need to buy a different carrier to install 4.10s in a Ford 8.8.

I agree, it is also easy to find an 8.8 with 4.10's and an LSD already installed.

I did it. I have been running the 4.10 geared HP 30 and 8.8 4.10 LSD w/ disks combo for several years now w/ 31s. @ 2000 rpm at 60mph. Pulls well. Won't turn the tires over on dry pavement, but otherwise the gearing is great. I get @ 17-18mg in mixed daily driving. The swap was easy as you have guessed. Go for it! JM

Back