• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: Torque Converter drain plug - 89 LTD

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
Whew, I've been reading tons of threads on how to flush the trany - not a pleasant experience for the comprehension challenged.:smoker:...

A few threads mention that some torque converters have a drain plug. Would my 89 LTD likely have a drainable torque converter? If so, I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for, and where to look - presumably I might have to crank the engine over to to get the converter into the right orientation for draining? Does that make sense?

From what I've read, never heard of a torque converter drain. Most recommend the poor man's flush...drain pan, refill, run, drain...refill, run. About three repetitions should give you a complete "flush".

This is probably the easiest too...

Whew, I've been reading tons of threads on how to flush the trany - not a pleasant experience for the comprehension challenged.:smoker:...

A few threads mention that some torque converters have a drain plug. Would my 89 LTD likely have a drainable torque converter? If so, I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for, and where to look - presumably I might have to crank the engine over to to get the converter into the right orientation for draining? Does that make sense?

Never heard of or seen a torque converter with a drain plug.

You can do a home flush by getting a 5 gallon bucket (empty) and buy four or five gallons of transmission fluid (of your type) and pouring it into another clean 5 gallon bucket.

Remove both transmission lines from the radiator, extend them with extra hose. Crank the Jeep, put it in Neutral and watch which line flows out and which line sucks in. Drop the suction line into the new fluid bucket and the other line into the empty bucket. Let the engine run until you see clean fluid coming out of the discharge hose. Shut it down and put the lines back on.

With the engine running and up to operating temperature, transmission in Neutral check your fluid at the dipstick and add new fluid to fill level.

Never heard of or seen a torque converter with a drain plug.

You can do a home flush by getting a 5 gallon bucket (empty) and buy four or five gallons of transmission fluid (of your type) and pouring it into another clean 5 gallon bucket.

Remove both transmission lines from the radiator, extend them with extra hose. Crank the Jeep, put it in Neutral and watch which line flows out and which line sucks in. Drop the suction line into the new fluid bucket and the other line into the empty bucket. Let the engine run until you see clean fluid coming out of the discharge hose. Shut it down and put the lines back on.

With the engine running and up to operating temperature, transmission in Neutral check your fluid at the dipstick and add new fluid to fill level.

not gonna work, the return line doesn't produce suction like that

not gonna work, the return line doesn't produce suction like that

Certainly does. How do you think those "non pressure" transmission flush machines work? Some have their own pump, others don't. The ones that don't have their own pump use the vehicles own transmission pump pressure to draw the fluid in.

have you actually done this 2 bucket method yourself? i'm guessing no because the trans pumps fluid through the cooler and back into the trans, there's no suction involved

have you actually done this 2 bucket method yourself? i'm guessing no because the trans pumps fluid through the cooler and back into the trans, there's no suction involved

X2

Back