• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Project Box

98XJLongBuild

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently trying to get the rats nests out of my rig. As alot of these rigs go, they start to accumalate more and more wire updates and or upgrades. When I started with mine I had just a CB hooked up, then shortly after that a pair of front spot lights, then Viair, then rock lights, then wig-wag lights, and even more on the way. I have fuses in the cab and in the engine compartment.

The plan is to have all after market electrical accessories in ONE spot. IE Electrical Project Box. I currently have all the componets for the box. ((2) fuse blocks holding 6 fuses apiece, distribution block to go to the fuse blocks, relay block with 14 relays (alot for extras if ever need), cat 5e wire and connectors, and a brand new very clean looking switch box with 8 LED toggle switchs). I plan on moutning it under the hood on the driver side right inbetween the brake booster and the front quarter panel. I plan on mounting it there due to the other side of the motor has all my A/C gear and there is no way that i'm taking that out. Also I plan on later down the road putting a second battery on the driver side front corner. As well as moutning my air distribution block infont of the brake booster. Then I think I will be able to say what I thought I would never say, my engine compartment is full. Oh and ya also later down the road I plan on putting a portable welder in there somewhere as well some how.

The only thing holding this entire project back is the box itself. I have searched and searched everywere and for the love of god I can't find one thats the right size. I have tried to go to a sheet metal shop but they want 300 bucks to make something so simple.

The box will need to be 13" long by 5 1/4" wide and 5 1/2" deep. It will also need to be water tight with a seal around the lid. The lid, perverable, a screw down mounted on a hing.

Anybody have any ideas for this box?????????????:dunno:

Ever look at fitches set up, search for fitch box great thread.

Those Hammond boxes look nice. :thumbup:

As for finding a box that fits a specific spot, you're at the mercy of what's already available out there unless you get something custom built. After much searching, I could not find anything to fit that spot you're looking at and I finally gave up. I think this is why a lot of folks end up mounting their project box somewhere inside the rig instead of trying to squeeze it into the engine compartment. I wanted mine in the engine compartment anyways.

I'm not sure what the dimensions are on your fuse and relay holders, but I ended up mounting mine (sans box) up along the top of the firewall. I just finished tidying my wiring up but haven't uploaded any pictures yet. Here's some of the in progress pics.

Relay holders:

Fuse holder:

They stay relatively clean and dry up there. They've both been sprayed with water a few times while hosing down my engine compartment and there hasn't been a problem.

I also squeezed a few in behind the driver's side headlight, but I've found they can get a little muddy back there:

I think I borrowed this idea from XJEEPER, but here's my variation of an air distribution manifold (in progress):

If the stuff you've bought won't fit in any of those spots, I don't really have any good advice for you. Quality boxes in the exact size you want are hard to find. You may find you have to think "outside the box"... :roflmao:

if you plan on putting a portable welder in your rig, why not just get some 16ga sheetmetal and make your own box. it's pretty easy to do something like that.

you can even rig up a make shift press break on a work bench with a thicker piece of metal and some c clamps. that way you can bend the edges 90* so you can put a seal on it with some bolt holes.

look at tupperware, and resealable lunch containers, there are tons of sizes. just spray paint it black. Thats what I'm doing.

IMG00241.jpg

This is just the start...

Back