• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford 8.8 carrier shims

kaden.

NAXJA Forum User
the ford 8.8 carrier shims go on the outside of the bearing and race correct? (not in the middle of the bearing and carrier?) there isnt a shim inbetween the bearing and carrier? am i correct?

Anyways thanks
tried searching but didnt really find out for sure

reason is i cant get the old bearings off, and i wanted them for set up bearing but then i got to thinking that the shims go on the outside. so i could just cut threw the bearing to get it off?

yup between the bearing and the axle housing. the shims can be a pain since they are usually one piece. but if you are changing gears then you should have an assorted pack so its a non issue. i ended up tapping them in with a piece of wood to keep from shattering the cast shims. i figured that out the hard way. the shims were a dealer part at $32 a piece. the replacement was mild steel and not cast. yeah go ahead and cut the bearings off.

sweet good deal, wish i would have thought of that earlyier, would have saved me a bent bearing splitter. anyways thanks

Back