• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New d60 knuckles Reid or CHC

1-tonxj

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Anyone put either of the 2 on I know CHC requires machine work ,but are better knuckles than reid ,but Reids are much stronger my stock knuckles and seem like a job I can do in my own garage...I'm looking to do these b/c my highsteer arms keep pulling off the pass knuckle and threads are getting shot ,and I don't want to remove anymore material making new threads ...So if anyone could comment on fit/finish of the Reid knuckles I'd appreciate the knowledge shared...thnx

AnI know CHC requires machine work

Where did you hear that from?

Dont forget about Solid knuckles either, they beefy with a keyway too. Reid, Solid, CHC, you cant really go wrong any way since theyre all better then stock and have pretty much no failure rates. I was gunna go with Solid's on my current 60 build, but for now Im being cheap and running some heavily modded "stock" ford knuckles.

Where did you hear that from?

Dont forget about Solid knuckles either, they beefy with a keyway too. Reid, Solid, CHC, you cant really go wrong any way since theyre all better then stock and have pretty much no failure rates. I was gunna go with Solid's on my current 60 build, but for now Im being cheap and running some heavily modded "stock" ford knuckles.

It was mentioned on their web site ...I'm just looking for knuckles that are the closest direct replacement for OE for least painfull install ....I'm lazy..., and thnx for the reply

how are you pulling the high steer arm off? Are you using proper studs, cone washers/sleeves, and nuts, or just bolts?

...I'm just looking for knuckles that are the closest direct replacement for OE for least painfull install....

Okay, then they mean if you wanna run thier knuckles without thier arms (which pretty much defeats the whole purpose of CHC setup) then you have to mill off the keyway. That would just leave you with the same 4 stud setup you had before. That wouldnt increase anything in terms of your problem of high steer arms coming off. You'd have to have the keyway milled off the Solid knuckles too, but you would at least still gain the possibly of using 5 or 6 studs. Swapping to a Reid wouldnt require machine work and gain you a 5th stud. What high steer arms are you currently running and with what setup of fasteners?

Not sure where in Colorado you are but Crane is in Denver. If you have any questions about CHC I would either stop by if you're local or give Josh a call, he really knows his stuff and is great to deal with.

Not sure where in Colorado you are but Crane is in Denver. If you have any questions about CHC I would either stop by if you're local or give Josh a call, he really knows his stuff and is great to deal with.

I know my junks seen 56th/fairfax for work already ,And I'm about 1hr from the shop ,and I will be dropping my junk off there in a week or so again to have the Claytons coil conversion put on so I will ask him then when I got the chit box there .

Okay, then they mean if you wanna run thier knuckles without thier arms (which pretty much defeats the whole purpose of CHC setup) then you have to mill off the keyway. That would just leave you with the same 4 stud setup you had before. That wouldnt increase anything in terms of your problem of high steer arms coming off. You'd have to have the keyway milled off the Solid knuckles too, but you would at least still gain the possibly of using 5 or 6 studs. Swapping to a Reid wouldnt require machine work and gain you a 5th stud. What high steer arms are you currently running and with what setup of fasteners?

If I do CHC or Solid I'd be using their arms as well when switching b/c I want the steering to be an upgrade

how are you pulling the high steer arm off? Are you using proper studs, cone washers/sleeves, and nuts, or just bolts?

You know I'm thinking the pass side might be missing hardware ...the driver side has bolts comming up from bottom with propper washers/nuts on top and presents no issues...However pass was missing 2 front bolts the pass side bolts in from top to bottom the 2 existing bolts were just bolted into the threaded holes with a washer ontop no sleeves, And I simply replaced the missing 2 bolts with same hardware as back 2 existing bolts ...Since this is the first king pin knuckle/hi-steer set up i've owned and I was not origional owner/installer I might be unware if the set up is missing parts...ouch .

after reading your question I realize Previous owner had studs/ sleeves/cone washers on driver knuckle but simply a bolt/washer on pass knuckle...hmmmm ,so maybe I'll just re-do the mounting hardware being used by previous owner for now and see how it holds up for a bit ...since I really want my Jeep money towards an atlas 4spd...lol

Last edited:
Back