• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help oil pump wont clear CRANK??

eerium

NAXJA Forum User
ya as the title says i have a 91 XJ 4.0L HO i just got a long block for it and installed the melling HV oil pump but now the pump is in the way of the counterweight on the crank?

id like to say i got the wrong oil pump but it came with the long block

so just wondering if anyone else has seen or heard of this

id like to hear that its something simple like a spacer or such.. please...

What part of the pump, the body, or the tube/pickup?

I've never heard of a melling pump not clearing the crank. I know it gets close to one of the throws, but even on my stroker the rod end is about 1/8" from hitting the pump. The throws are far off.

Pictures would be good. And what is the part number on the pump?

melling m167hvs and its hitting the pump body not the pickup i cant find info on this anywhere

207100_202253956464359_100000392697848_600191_5848833_n.jpg

sounds to me like you got a high volume pump, when you shouldnt have. X2 on contacting melling

Why? What does the high volume have anything to do with this? A high volume should fit fine with the exception of the oil pan.

Yup. I've got an HV Melling in my 94 4.0, been there for 7 years. It mounted with no modifications and no difficulty.

I can't see there being enough core shift for the block to be an issue. And I doubt the crank it. I have seen some mounting issues with pumps, but nothing like this. Maybe the pump has an issue.

contacted melling turns out there is a possible casting defect in the pump body so they are sending me a replacment to see if it fixes it ill let you know what happens

side by side just bad casting i wish i would have taken a side by side pic it was pretty obvious the first one i had was very porous and just looked like someone took it out of the form a little too early but the new one works fantastic so just be careful of the ones marked with the manufacturing date of sept. 08

Back