• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine cutting out....

jimmy21669

NAXJA Forum User
Ok....so here is where we are at:

I start the XJ and it runs fine. I drive it, and within a couple blocks the engine cuts out. Auxiliary electric is all still on. Wait two minutes, it will restart.

First thing I did was replace the CPS. BUT, since it is only happening in motion, it is telling me it must be a connection somewhere. I got under the hood with it running and wiggled EVERY wire under there and could NOT get it to cut out. Drive it, it cuts out.

So...what this tells me is that the ASD (auto shut down) relay is what is telling the truck to shut down. When the relay resets 2 minutes later, it restarts. ASD get's its signal from the PCM. So the PCM is reading a fault condition warranting a shut down, but NO engine codes.

eusa_think.gif

Specs....1994 XJ SE 4.0 Manual.

Anyone want to put on their thinking hats with me?
102.gif

For those of you wondering...I HAVE SEARCHED....:wierd:

Doesn't have to be the asd system. Could be a heat problem.

The #1 cause of thermal (heat related) failure is the crank sensor.

The #2 cause is the ignition coil.

You have already replaced the crank sensor. Either test the coil WHEN symptomatic, or try replacing it.

I just realized I never updated this....

Turned out the harness that runs across the transmission had pulled away and was hitting the exhaust. The insulation had become charred and the wires were shorting out. Fixed it with some liquid electric tape, some split loom and some wire ties.

It always ends up something simple doesn't it?

Back