• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

factory window tint? problem

97babyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone know if the factory window tint can be removed?

i am doing a bunch of cutting inside my truck and it seems like the metal sparks have melted specs of the window tint on all my windows. im pretty pissed, and not totally sure thats what has happened but thats what it seems like.

does anyone have experience with removing the tint?
and also, what glass is interchangable between year brakes in the xj's.

Short answer is no it can't be removed from the glass if its factory. Its laminated into the glass layers.

I would be more concerned that you ruined the glass. The sparks can/will melt into the windows and cause them to crack/break.

does anyone know if the factory window tint can be removed?

i am doing a bunch of cutting inside my truck and it seems like the metal sparks have melted specs of the window tint on all my windows. im pretty pissed, and not totally sure thats what has happened but thats what it seems like.

does anyone have experience with removing the tint?
and also, what glass is interchangable between year brakes in the xj's.

The factory tint is part of the glass, so it cannot be removed.

1/4 windows will exchange 84-01, the smoke tint started sometime around 93.

The rolling up/down part of the rear doors will exchange 84-01 given that the mounting stuff at the bottom is switched out.

The 1/3 windows in the rear doors are 84-96, and then 97-01.

It is possible to use a 97-01 1/3 window in a 96- with some work, but its super annoying to make fit.

Back