• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What rear diff is this??

MellowFellow

NAXJA Forum User
Besides for leaking like a pig, I am unsure of the type of rear diff this is....but am thinking it's a dana 35?
The Cherokee is a 1993 XJ 4x4 (dont know model, but no power windows no power locks or seats) and this is the rear diff.
I'm going to open it up flush it reseal and refill it but wanted to put an aftermarket cover on it as well.

also, when im in there, how may I distinguish what ratio of gears are installed?
The old owner told me it was re-geared for 35's, and it's currently running 33s. I had a 89 cherokee with 4.10s in the rear and 32s and this feels similar...but anyways.
Those were my two questions :thumbup::skull2::thumbup::skull2::thumbup:
reardiff2.jpg

Last edited:
Chryco 8.25, 27 spline

Count the rotations of the tire vs the driveshaft, that will get you close

Last edited:
When you pull the cover the ratio should be stamped on the ring gear or you can count the teeth on the ring gear and devide by the teeth on the pinion. Example, 41 teeth on ring gear devided by 9 teeth on pinion = 4.56

I'm going to open it up flush it reseal and refill it but wanted to put an aftermarket cover on it as well.
You can get stainless steel covers from SummitRacing, includes the gasket and
a nice refill plug that replaces that cheesy rubber plug.

Get a RuffStuff cover with recessed bolts and a drain plug, add a LubeLocker gasket=done!

If your gonna wheel it in rock, shave it! That stupid lip catches on every rock.

Chryco 8.25, 27 spline

Count the rotations of the tire vs the driveshaft, that will get you close

great idea, but you missed some important info.

mark your tire and your driveline and align those marks with a reference point. turn your tire twice, and count the revolutions your driveline makes.
driveline turns 4.1 times/per 2 revolutions of tire= 4.10 gears.

or you could pop the cover and check the stamp on the ring gear...

Back