• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help car would start then turns off after bout a second

jeepinbush

NAXJA Forum User
hi all i have a 91 jeep cherokee limited and when i start the car it would start for bout 1 second then stalls out right away even if i push the gas pedal or not. i tried switching out the plugs, plug wires, coil, auto shut off relay and it still does the same thing. ive also tried the alarm reset by unplugging the battery and plugging it back on so the alarm would come on, then i unlock the back hatch/ passenger door then the driver door and it does not help the problem. i also checked my battery cables by cleaning it and checking it for rust/debris. i had a fully charged battery and it now empty cause i tried starting it so much. i also jumped the fuel ballast resistor and that did not help with the problem. has anyone had this happen to them before? HELP PLEASE IM GETTING FRUSTRATED AND IM OUT OF THINGS TO CHECK FOR.

I'd check for fuel pressure, you may be getting enough for a start, but not enough for it to run.
Does your check engine light come on?
You might also want to check for spark while you are cranking, just to make sure it is a fuel only problem and not one of those intermittent/random CPS problems.

Typically you get a 2-3 second fuel prime when the key is turned to run (the fuel pump relay closes for a few seconds), then when it is turned to start (and it cranks over) you get a CPS pulse and the fuel pump relay is closed (by the PCM). I'm not real familiar with the 91-93 series, I'm guessing most basic functions are the same for the 94-96 series I'm more familiar with.

no the check engine light is not on. does the car have to running if the i check for fuel pressure? if then i dont think i can check for fuel pressure

no the check engine light is not on. does the car have to running if the i check for fuel pressure? if then i dont think i can check for fuel pressure
Just watch to see it the fuel rail primes when you turn the key to run and it holds pressure while you are cranking.
Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key to run? It should in all models I've seen. If it never comes on, it may indicate a deeper problem.

Back