• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cowl Chamber Intake

Super mud

NAXJA Forum User
just finished my new intake. Went with a real simple design compared to the aftermarket ones. It's made of one 2.5in mandrel bent exaust U pipe and a K&N filter. Welded it up with the oxy acetylene torch. The filter is 7x4in which is the largest I could find in a cylinder shape. It's on an 87 and you deffinatley hear the intake noise but I personally think it sounds awsome and the normal road noises are much more annoying.
downsize-22.jpg

0329111459a.jpg

downsize-23.jpg

downsize-24.jpg

Good job. That's one of the cleaner intake builds I've seen.

Sent from tapatalk on iJunk

Nice! You might want to replace that rubber coupling with a "hump hose" to allow for some flex :viking:

img1321.jpg

X2

I hope you do not have much flex in the engine mounts. I would certainly replace the hose coupling with the hump hose. It may prevent something from tearing/breaking at the wrong time.

Would it not have been better to have two hump hoses, one where the current one is, and one between the intake manifold and 90deg bend?

I used a coupler just like the OP and it does loosen up due to vibration. I guess its time to look for a hump hose. Great install! Really impressed with it.

Looks good. Can we get a close up shot of the connection to the throttle body?

Has anyone ever used a cowl intake like this up where we get real snow? I keep wondering where the air will come from when the cowl is iced over.

Yea I was interested in the hump coupler incase of any excessive movement but 25-30$ is a bit much. Anybody seen them cheaper?
Also with the area that enters the cowlchamber is very tight between the top and bottom of the area of sheet metal, just enough to get the filter on.

Nice work, but....won't water just go straight down onto the filter if it's raining?

No, the passenger side of the cowl "screen" is molded to look like it has holes, but only the drivers side actually has them.

Oh, guess i never looked at it that closely. Nicely done! :thumbup:

Change it all out to flex hose,your just adding heat with the steel tubing anyway!

I read a Coast Guard study once that said flex hose restricted water flow for bilge pumps to that of smooth tubing one half the diameter of the flex. In other words, switching to smooth tubing of the same size would double the flow of the pump. I have to think that flex hose would do the same thing with air. Not to mention that all that extra surface area would trap heat a lot better.

Make mine steel, I think the OP is right on.

I read a Coast Guard study once that said flex hose restricted water flow for bilge pumps to that of smooth tubing one half the diameter of the flex. In other words, switching to smooth tubing of the same size would double the flow of the pump. I have to think that flex hose would do the same thing with air. Not to mention that all that extra surface area would trap heat a lot better.

Make mine steel, I think the OP is right on.

The Coast Guard study was most likely referring to flex hose that is similar to what you use to vacuum a pool with, but with a larger diameter and larger folds in the material vs. a smooth walled hose. Just using one or two bulged connector like that would only have a small effect on flow.

~Alex

Back