• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 XJ Starts but will not shut off with key.

sams88xj

NAXJA Forum User
I bought this Jeep last week, got an incredible deal, just has a couple problems.

I believe this problem is the ignition switch, but just want to make sure before i take it all apart and replace it.

I can turn the Jeep on with the key no problem, but before i even put the key in, i can hear the whine of the fuel pump, and the e-brake light and gas light are on. (I have to disconnect battery or it will die.) I already replaced the ignition lock because the previous owner had given me a new one.

If anyone has any input it is greatly appreciated, and if there is a thread about this im sorry for reposting, couldnt find it.

Well, disconnect the harness from the switch and see if it turns off.

OK, i disconnected the ignition switch and the lights stay on and fuel pump still engages when i connect the battery. This is my first Jeep, and now im completely lost. Ive never encountered a problem like this

Any help?

Something is getting power that should not be, i know that much. i tried pulling a few relays near the battery while the battery was connected and none of them changed anything. Someone i called said maybe a problem with the ECM? Could that be the problem?

so.. update.

i figured out its not the pcm, nothing in the steering column.

i think its something grounded out in the ignition switch harness somewhere from the ignition switch to wherever it goes, problem is i cant find a good wiring diagram so im lost.

any suggestions?

Pull the trans fuse in the fuse box and then the gauge fuse, see what happens.

Pulling the fuel pump relay shuts the engine down, but the lights in the dash still power like the key is in the "on" position.

Ive I tried disconnecting everything and plugging things back in one by one to see what was causing it, but with EVERYTHING disconnected under the dash (including the pcm), the e-brake light and gas light still come on as soon as battery is connected. (weirdly enough, the "low washer" light doesnt come on til i turn the key over to the "on" position)

any ideas?

im thinking about just wiring a fuel cutoff and battery cutoff switch. I dont think its worth the trouble of going through all the wiring to find whatevers causing the problem, this is my first jeep so idk where the harness goes after the fuse box or anything.

Back