• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 XJ

mizzutgr

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to buy a1998 XJ for my son. It has 107,094 miles on it. It is a 4.0 , I-6 automatic. I know it has the cracked manifold on it, leaking thermostat housing and crappy tires. On the other hand it drove VERY nice. No shimmies whatsoever all the way to 95 MPH and it kept going straight when I let go of the wheel. Great power and it idles very smooth at 750 RPM. Breaks worked good- over all it drove better than my 99. They want 3850.00 for it -firm. What do you think? Also- only 1 owner.

With a cracked manifold and it needs tires? I wouldn't pay anywhere near $4k. But that's just me. Thermostat housing is a $5 part, but the rest is pushing an extra grand. That's what you should argue, at least. Parts are $200 for the manifold, maybe $100 each tire. Talk them down if you can; if not, walk. If they really are firm on price, I'd pass.

Last edited:
I will also add that it has no rust, no dents at all. The side molding/door guards are starting to come off but other than that a good shop vac and bath. I am having a mechanic of my choice ,on his dime look at it.

If it checks out mechanically, the tires,, leaky t-stat and header are, in my opinion, not deal breakers. It is a thirteen year old car, after all. Here in snow country, that's a bargain. I've paid more for worse, but I still have them! So, in the long run, compared to other vehicles, you'll come out ahead anyway. Tell the seller you've got four grand, including tax and tags, and if he'll figure the price to fit, it's not a bad deal.

Back