• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 tranny coolers?

DrShaggford

NAXJA Forum User
I have a tranny cooler im waiting to put in and I was wondering if you could daisy chain it into the stock cooler. Is this possible or just a stupid idea?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

You sure could.
You should also be aware, though, that running a transmission too cold is just as bad as too hot.
You are shooting for 170-190 with the AW4 transmission. I'd first install a temperature guage and go from there. You may not need an additional cooler at all.

Thats why I haven't put in in yet actually. I am running 33s on stock gears so om pretty sure ill need one
But im waiting to get a temp gauge before I do anything....thanks for the response

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

From my 1995 FSM, normal operating temp. of the AW4 is 122-176 deg.

how do you setup a temp gauge for the tranny? where do you plug it into to get a temp?
what is a cheap way of doing this? pretty much spent all the money i can this month on my truck, but if i could find all the stuff i need for less than 20$ that would be awesome.

The factory aux cooler plumbs in ahead the the rad cooler.

You really don't need one. AW4s are strong as hell and one good cooler is all you need. I recommend a B&M trans gauge, that's what I run, easy to put in and it works well.

Depends on how good that one cooler is. Factory coolers will fail. My xj didn't have a factory cooler but it did start slipping and puking fluid when a line got backed up and hot. This was driving down 85 from Virginia in cold January weather. I installed a B&M super cooler and now I don't think twice. took me less than an hour to install with just basic tools.

The temp gauge will let you know what you need. :rtm:

Depends on how good that one cooler is. Factory coolers will fail. My xj didn't have a factory cooler but it did start slipping and puking fluid when a line got backed up and hot. This was driving down 85 from Virginia in cold January weather. I installed a B&M super cooler and now I don't think twice. took me less than an hour to install with just basic tools.

The temp gauge will let you know what you need. :rtm:

Did you do a write up on your install of the cooler and gauge? Or can you tell me how you did it and which cooler and gauge you purchased and where from?

Thanks

I know your not asking me but I used a B&M super cooler and a B&M temp gauge.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CIGE9G
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002A596I

I put the cooler after the radiator cooler. You will need a special tool to get the lower line off the radiator, you can get them cheap from a parts store, I got the whole set because I didn't know what size it was. I cut the hard line going in then just used hose clamps to secure the tranny cooler lines in place. I put the cooler in front of the mechanical fan because I figured it will always have air flow. For the gauge I put the sensor in the line going back to the trans. After the cooler line I installed ahead of it turns back to a hard line. I cut it in half with a plumber’s pipe cutter and spliced it with the supplied compression fittings. Wire up the power and back light to the gauge and you’re done. Be sure to check for leaks at all the connections and also check the tranny level, I had to add about half a quart.

Some pics,
0405111706b.jpg

0405111706.jpg

Not trying to be an ass but do you have data to support this assertion? Except in very extreme circumstances I can't see how you could overcool a transmission.

I don't have any metrics available, but I will say the following in support of my original thesis (wtf am I even talking about here?)

The transmission fluid gets checked while the tranny is at operating temperature. This is because the fluid thins out with temps - the engineers that made the transmission know this and plan accordingly. Seals, valving, pressures etc are all set up for a certain viscosity of fluid. If you never get your tranny fluid heated properly, the transmission is constantly off its game.

Also, you want to get the fluid hot enough to roast out any moisture in it and evaporate it off. Otherwise water can funk up the fluid and break it down. Soudns good, funk up break down, but isn't.

I'd think that if your viscosity was too high (trans too cold) that the flow would be decreased through your valve body & the rest of the "guts" and / or the pressure at a lot of seals just behind these valves & ports would be high, possibly resulting in leaks.

I could be wrong. Maybe a room temperature transmission is ideal. For the reasons I mumbled about above, though, I think you want it to reach 170 or so and spend most of its operating life right about there.

Ok, enough blathering on my part. Time to drink my AM coffee and go to work.

Back