• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 diff cover bolts

kaden.

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a ruffstuff diff cover for my 8.8 but the stock bolts are way to short, they only go like a half turn in. could i just replace these with a little longer one from the hardware store? or is that something they wouldnt carry? O and does any one know were a good disc brake diagram is for the 8.8, i took the parking break assy apart need to figure out how to put it back together.
thanks

take one of your cover bolts to the hardware store and get a bunch of them about 1/4 to 1/2" longer, same size & pitch. No problem.

THe parking brake... go to the auto parts store and buy a repair manual for a 97 Ford Explorer. Should have everything you need to know about the axle. Otherwise... a member of the Intermountain Chapter could probably help you.

Hardware store will have longer ones. They're standard size, forget which, but get standard and highest grade they've got, not stainless. Higher grade stand up to rocks better. I've run allen heads and would not recommend them, the get hit and it bends the screw down to where it enters the diff and can be a whore to get out wobbling side to side! Never had that problem even when there was barely anything left of a hex head.

sounds good thanks, no ones got an e-brake diagram or possiably a pic would be great to, i just need to see how it all goes back together.

I picked up a ruffstuff diff cover for my 8.8 but the stock bolts are way to short, they only go like a half turn in. could i just replace these with a little longer one from the hardware store? or is that something they wouldnt carry? O and does any one know were a good disc brake diagram is for the 8.8, i took the parking break assy apart need to figure out how to put it back together.
thanks

When you replace them use SHCS, (allen head screws) the standard hex head bolts are difficult to get a scocket or wrench on.

Last edited:
When you replace them use SHCS, (allen head screws) the standard hex head bolts are difficult to get a scocket or wrench on.

Next time go for the countersunk cover, it comes with countersunk allen screws, which can greatly lessen the chance of rounding off a bolt on rocks. Be sure to carry a small pick in your trail bag to clean the allen heads out with though.

sounds good thanks, no ones got an e-brake diagram or possiably a pic would be great to, i just need to see how it all goes back together.
Not the greatest but might help ya out.
041.jpg
037.jpg

Back