• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No brake lights

Check the brake light switch at the brake pedal? On mine ('89) the turn and brake is the same bulb, and since hazards utilize the turn bulb, I'm scratching my head as to why your turn signal lights work, but not the hazards.

Another thought...IIRC, the hazard flasher is different from the turn flasher...not 100% sure, but worth a check.

Changed out the brakelight switch nothing.

I swapped 4 way flashers with my buddy's and nothing swapped them back and now we both have the same problems...

check the grounds?

Somehow the running lights will ground through the harness, but it won't ground the brakelight or hazard circuit. It's odd. Do your turn signal indicators light with the running lights dimly? That's what mine did. Check the front bulb sockets and the grounds at the rear of the chassis.

I have an MJ, so it's different. in my case the problem was the front bulb sockets. Cleaning them, especially the side piece behind the grommet that goes to ground, fixed all of my wonky hazard stuff. Brakes lights was the ground behind the tail light, drivers side.

if you both have the same problem now. why don't you try new flasher, they're like five bucks iirc.

I had heard the hazard and turn were different (never believed it because they have same pins on my 89)

try swapping places?

are you sure the bulbs are good they might have two filaments, one for running one for brake and the brake ones may be busted.

i always say check double check.

wiring sucks, shorts suck wear pants. seriously good luck i hate nothing more than electrical work.

Last edited:
do a search for tail light or brake light grounds. I seem to recall a thread about grounds going bad out back....remember I had some issues once and found the problem was a ground.

Well it was fund (By a buddy aka DewJeep) that some where from the power distro-center under the hood and the fuse box is a broken wire.

So after back tracing the wires, he was able to jumper a power source to the normally "HOT" side of the brake switch and gain power feed to both the 4-ways and the brake lights..

Back