• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old Man Emu questions

husker25

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
Tried the search but old man emu appears to be too short of a search term. Looking at the OME 2 1/2" set up for my 99XJ which sees 95% pavement driving. Kit includes front coils, leaf springs, and shocks. People rave about the ride quality. Only complaint in the reviews I've read was rubbing on the lower control arms with 31's. I'm going about this a bit backwards--I really NEEDED new tires this winter so I went with the 31's. I haven't been wheeling but the tires do rub the LCAs close to full lock. Since the OME system doesn't come with new LCAs I'm probably going to experience the same rubbing. So--questions:

1. Am I thinking straight--will I continue to get rubbing at right turns?

2. Is the secret to this legendary ride on OME suspensions due to their shocks?

3. If #2 is true would most any other 3-3 1/2" lift ride well if I use the correct Bilstien shock?

Any questions I missed? Thanks all.

Most lift kits have a disclaimer/recommendation that you should run wheels with 3.75-4" back spacing.
So, at this point, to solve rubbing issues.. there are a couple of low priced options.
1- Install WJ lower control arms (minor modification, unless you purchase some with bushings already modified.
2- Wheel spacers, 1-1.5" width.
3- Adjust steering stops to prevent rub, but this will increase your turn radius.

The combo of OME spring rates and shocks are what make the ride nice.
You can piece together a OME/hybrid lift for cheaper probably also.

I ran a 2" OME lift and I have to say, it was hard breaking something that didn't need to be broken. What I mean is, I debated for a long time to change that OME setup for my 5.5" RE setup. It drove beautifully and looked good on the 30.5" tires.

You can change your rims unless you are in love with them. Otherwise, spacers are an ok solution.

1. Am I thinking straight--will I continue to get rubbing at right turns?

2. Is the secret to this legendary ride on OME suspensions due to their shocks?

3. If #2 is true would most any other 3-3 1/2" lift ride well if I use the correct Bilstien shock?.

yes, you will still rub....1"spacers will fix that.

The ride is better not only because of their shock but the springs as well.

Good shocks make a world of difference. I would go OME on all the parts... contact dirk at DPG offroad....hes they guy to go to on OME stuff

I had the same kit but the Heavy Load springs. The ride is outstanding. It's a combination of the shocks and springs working together perfectly. There's a reason it comes with a hefty price tag. It's not just some random 2.5" springs tossed in with some cool shocks. They actually do the R&D to build the kits.

What I like about it is the supplemental spring (aal) that you can purchase and add to the rear pack for about 1" of lift and increased load carrying. It's the only AAL i know of that doesn't harshen up the ride. Stick a coil spacer up front and add one of their AAL's for an easy 3.5".

And yes 31's will rub on the control arms with stock wheels.

Most lift kits have a disclaimer/recommendation that you should run wheels with 3.75-4" back spacing.
So, at this point, to solve rubbing issues.. there are a couple of low priced options.
1- Install WJ lower control arms (minor modification, unless you purchase some with bushings already modified.
2- Wheel spacers, 1-1.5" width.
3- Adjust steering stops to prevent rub, but this will increase your turn radius.

The combo of OME spring rates and shocks are what make the ride nice.
You can piece together a OME/hybrid lift for cheaper probably also.

What he said. I have 31's and wheels with 4" bs. t rubs just the slightest bit when wheeling. I run OME934 coils up front(slightly stiffer rate for 3.5" of lift WITH a JCR bumper) and OME CS034RA packs with an extra leaf in them(also ended up around 3.5 even with a JCR tire carrier bumper). Now my upper mounts in the rear are modified so i haven't changed my rear shocks(bar pins won't come out of the shocks) but I fully expect the ride to improve even more. I also upgraded my track bar to an adjustable double shear setup. Best part is with some luck and some used parts I have $350 and an AW4 in the suspension! :D

I read up on these and it was said they needed the bolt sleeve trimmed down to fit in the xj's pockets.

This is true. Nothing I wasn't able to solve with some time on a table grinder. I have BFG AT 32x12.5R15 Tires on a RE 3.5" with the Canyon rims and I get no rub. Also the WJ control arms are way stronger than stock.
It works well if you have easy assess to a pair and the tools to make em fit.

This is true. Nothing I wasn't able to solve with some time on a table grinder. I have BFG AT 32x12.5R15 Tires on a RE 3.5" with the Canyon rims and I get no rub. Also the WJ control arms are way stronger than stock.
It works well if you have easy assess to a pair and the tools to make em fit.

Seems simple enough. Did you have to worry about the sleeve heating up and melting the bushing?

Thanks all. I will start combing the yards for WJ LCAs and figure out if I need to modify them. I imagine the same year/generation WJ LCAs will fit. I'll give Dirk at DPG Offroad a call.

WJ is 99-05 Grand Cherokee, if they are actually on a WJ, then you will need to modify the bushings. There are write-ups around somewhere. But , if you find them on an XJ then should already be modified.

Called a junk yard today for WJ LCAs--thanks for the links to the write-ups. Called DPG as well--talk about knowing your product--that guy was awesome. We talked about the 3.5 hybrid system. I aksed him if I needed a longer brake line in the rear and he recommended using a rear brake line from a 95 YJ. Thanks all.

Back