• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drop the case or SYE

mizzutgr

NAXJA Forum User
99, 4.0, 5 speed, Just Installed a OME 2.5 hybrid kit, new control arms upper and lower and I have vibrations. It feels like I am driving over rumble strips when I accelerate quickly- also sounds like I have a new set of mudders on it. I notice a little noise/ vibration but not alot from 0-40. but the harder I get on it, it happens. I have been told a Slip yolk and a CV driveshaft would fix it but since it's a small lift would a transfer case drop work instead? Tires are 235/75/ r-15. They have been aligned and rotated. and the tread is at half. Opinions? Thanks-

Last edited:
Re: Drop the case or SLE

T case drop won't help your front drive shaft and put stress on your engine mounts and exhaust system. SYE is best. Try using shims to get the pinon angle correct before going to a SYE.

Re: Drop the case or SLE

SLE OPP

Most of the time they need to be ordered.

Get the sye and you will thank yourself later. I got it with my 2.5" OME lift too cuz I had crappy vibes.

since its a '99 you have a high pinion front axle so im assuming your vibes are coming from the rear? i would just get shims for the rear first and see if that helps before spending the big bucks on a SYE, etc.... i would not suggest welding them since down the road if you ever remove the lift it'll ALL be removeable....with the center bolt and u bolts on each side i dont think its going anywhere...

on different note, if you dont know where the vibes are coming from, just unbolt the front driveshaft and drive it for a day in 2WD, and if the vibes are gone you know its the front, if they're still there its your rear DS

Is the SLE the end all problems fix? It seems from what I have read so far that the shims might be a temp solution. What are some brands/web sights that I should check out?

Is the SLE the end all problems fix? It seems from what I have read so far that the shims might be a temp solution. What are some brands/web sights that I should check out?

Yep, sure is. No more vibes and you can remove the rear driveshaft without the fluid going everywhere. You're going to have to go to the junkyard and grab a front shaft out of an auto XJ and use it for a rear shaft since it will now be a fixed output. Cheaop and easy

performanceoffroadcenter.com has a SYE for ~$170.00. I've had it in my jeep for 2 years no problems. Just google.

I was told that I had to special order a driveshaft ( custom built ) after I installed the SLE. Something about having to measure the length and build it. So I can order a SLE and get the front driveshaft out of an automatic and it will fit? That does not sound bad at all.

Its an SYE(slip yoke eliminator),yes a front shaft will work,they just are not very beefy or in good shape coming out of the JY!

When you order a shaft from a custom driveshaft shop, they always ask for the measurements so they can get you the right sized shaft instead of trial and error from guessing. It's mostly just the distance from u-joint to u-joint.

A friend of mine with a 99 has 2" springs and we fixed the vibes with shims, no Tcase drop. I'm sure Tcase drop would do the same thing, but you lose ground clearance, and it makes the front worse. I would recommend the Tcase drop if the shims don't do the trick for a cheap TEMPORARY solution until you can do an SYE.

SYE is the best way to go, hands down. I have custom driveshafts that I've beaten up bad and used spare fronts and they work just as well. Sure they're not as beefy, but they're balanced, cheap, and they work. You generally want one from an XJ with 4.0L and auto trans. If it's too long I believe that ones from ZJ are a little different. Ones form XJs with a stick are a tad shorter as well. There are charts if you search with the lengths of all the front shafts.

Back