• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck with stock axles for Moab

ABQ_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
This could probably go in Tech forum but any Moab experienced folks could help me here. I can only afford one before Moab and don't know what to expect from the traction on those trails. Do I put a locker in front (30) to help the rear or Locker in back (35c) and hope it doesn't snap?

Personally I would just buy the front. You will probably end up scrapping the 35 in a hurry if you feel your headed for locker territory so why waste the money. They 30 will more than likely be there a while.

Later,
Lincoln

Lincoln said:
Personally I would just buy the front. You will probably end up scrapping the 35 in a hurry if you feel your headed for locker territory so why waste the money. They 30 will more than likely be there a while.

Later,
Lincoln

The 35 is going to break anyway sooner or later, so why not put a locker in the 30 and weld the 35? When it does go, at least you haven't spent $$$.$$ on a locker.

Lockers? Who needs a stinkin' locker?

Moab is quite unlike 'wheeling anywhere else. The traction is incredible. You will do fine if you just disconnect your swaybars and air the tires down. As long as you keep the tires on the ground you won't need a locker.

Look at these kids- they did the entire Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim trail with a stock S10 Blazer & open diffs. They had to do a lot of rock stacking but they never needed a strap once. That is on the schedule as the "H" rated trail for Wednesday.

standard.jpg

Your Cherokee has a lot more flex and ground clearance than that thing. You should be fine with open diffs. A front locker is also a real PITA in Moab, it is really hard to turn on the slickrock with the front end locked up. My front limited slip diff really has me begging for some form of 2wd low, I couldn't imagine doing it with a real locker. If you are going to put a selectable locker in, forget my last comment. :)

BTW, check out the New Mexico Virtual Jeep Club. We just did a trip to Moab over Labor Day weekend. There is usually at least one local trip every month.

I wouldn't recomend welding a D35 for Moab, at least if you do I hope you don't run a trail that I'm on. The traction there is very good, and like Handlebars said, it's a PIA if you don't have selectable lockers (off) just driving on most of the trails. I run 2wd low almost all of the time there to keep the drivetrain from binding up and so I can steer.

If you're going to replace the D35 soon, put the locker in the front, it will give you traction if you lift a tire. If you're going to run the D35 for awhile, then go ahead and put a locker in it. A rear locked rig can do amazing things in Moab. I'm not much on welded D35's, they are just an accident waiting to happen. I certainly hope that everyone who has one in Moab is carrying spare axles, and knows how to replace them.

Good info., thx! I'll breath easier if I can get a Ford 8.8 replacement for the rear. Looking forward to the trip!

-Rob

My youngest daughter ran Pritchett Canyon last June. She is completely unlocked with open diffs. Of course she had to be towed up Rock Pile and Rocker Knocker. But then so did most of the locked rigs. She also did Cliffhanger with no strapping. You'll have a great time. Don't be shy about asking for a strap. It's better to be strapped than to spend several hours repairing damage. When I'm leading trails I don't mind having people along that maybe aren't equipped to conquer all the obstacles as long as they don't tear things up trying to do what they don't have ANY chance of making. A couple of tries and then strap it. It doesn't waste time and hold up others. You won't really learn what your capabilities are unless you constantly try hard stuff and learn from experience. I like to have people along on trails that maybe don't have a lot of experience or the gnarliest rig. The learn the most.

Dan Riggs said:
My youngest daughter ran Pritchett Canyon last June. She is completely unlocked with open diffs. Of course she had to be towed up Rock Pile and Rocker Knocker. But then so did most of the locked rigs. She also did Cliffhanger with no strapping. You'll have a great time. Don't be shy about asking for a strap. It's better to be strapped than to spend several hours repairing damage. When I'm leading trails I don't mind having people along that maybe aren't equipped to conquer all the obstacles as long as they don't tear things up trying to do what they don't have ANY chance of making. A couple of tries and then strap it. It doesn't waste time and hold up others. You won't really learn what your capabilities are unless you constantly try hard stuff and learn from experience. I like to have people along on trails that maybe don't have a lot of experience or the gnarliest rig. The learn the most.

Good advice, IMHO.......

Goatman said:
.......I'm not much on welded D35's, they are just an accident waiting to happen. I certainly hope that everyone who has one in Moab is carrying spare axles, and knows how to replace them.

EVEN BETTER ADVICE.........IMHO......Open, or with the 'mighty' Trac-Lok they will last a little with smaller tires.

Lock the front. Selectable lockers are KEWL on the slickrock, but they are the most money of course.

Back