• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

carrier identification

VAhasnoWAVES

NAXJA Forum User
i picked up a used 3.73 and higher numerically carrier for my D30. i took the guys word for it and bought it. id like to identify that it is what i need to install the 4.10s i bought as well.

what idetifying marks should i be looking for?

the only marks ive found are "32910" and "4" around the ring gear bolts. and "8260" stamped on the opposite side of the carrier. also looks like it says "26" inside the carrier by one of the spider gears.

or am i looking for something else completely?

I have one at work that I will check tomorrow to see what it says. I'll also measure from the ring gear mounting surface to the end of the carrier as well.

A 32909 is a 3.73+ carrier.

If it's got bearings on it, make sure it is resting on the actual end of the carrier, not the bearing. Unless it has a ridiculous stack of shims on it, it should get you in the ballpark though.

EDIT: the 3.55- carrier I have sitting here is 32932

The 3.55- case I came up with is a 32931?

:dunno: could be two different revisions, similar to how the 297 joints got replaced with the 760 joints. I thought it was odd too, double checked and it has a deck height damn close to what RobertK listed for 3.55-, came from a stock axle with 3.55s in it, and has 32932 cast into the back of the ring gear mounting surface.

Since we now have 32931/2 as 3.55- and 32909 as 3.73+ and the OP has 32910, maybe he's just got a newer (or older) 3.73+ carrier? Only deck height will tell for sure I guess.

Last edited:
ROBERTK
user_offline.gif

NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Re: how to ID a 3.73+ d30 carrier?
You can measure the deck height too.

Set carrier on end, so ring gear mounting surface is facing up, and measure from ring gear mounting surface surface its sitting on.

The 3.54 & numerically lower is 1.810"
The 3.73 & numerically higher is 1.943"

:rof:

i'd say its the 3.73+ then, if it's closer to that number ;) especially if you're just eyeballing it with a tape measure.

i'd say its the 3.73+ then, if it's closer to that number ;) especially if you're just eyeballing it with a tape measure.

ya, its taller than 1-7/8 which is greater than 1.810. and i did a little googleing (should have started there right?) and the numbers 32910 consistantly brings up the 3.73+ carrier. i think we are in business.

also, since ive got the damn thing sitting right here, ive come to the conclusion that im going to put a lunchbox in it. itd be dumb not to considering that im open/open.

Back