• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Choosing A Winch:

Senior_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So ive narrowed it down & while id love a Warn, its just too expensive!! Smittybuilt seems the way to go due to the cost factor & ive been hearing more & more positives on them. Now my only delema is which one?

1) This has a 10,000 pull, 5.5hp, & the big advantage of the synthetic rope for $524:
http://www.autopartsdealer.com/smittybilt_xrc_10_compseries_winches-p248358-p.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campa ign=cp50&utm_content=rank1

2) This powerhouse has a 12,000 pull, 6.6hp, a gear ratio of 265:1 & a price tag under $499:
http://www.winchdepot.com/Winches-Winch-Accessories/XRC-12-Winch.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pl=6426&t_ pn=S/B97212

3) This one has a 10,000 pull, 5.5hp, 150psi air comp, & a slightly less pull speed. BUT the on-board air is hard to resist at $552:
Smittybilt 99210-1 XRC10 Winch w/Air Compressor

Opinions & advice needed!!
brickwall.gif

Thanks,
SeniorXJ

I love my 10,000 Smittybuilt. I used the heck out of it. I purchased mine through WinchDepot.com with the lifetime warranty for an extra $50.00. I am glad spent the extra money on the lifetime warranty as I had to use it. :D So, my vote is for Smittybuilt purchased through winchdepot.com.

Kim

I love my 10,000 Smittybuilt. I used the heck out of it. I purchased mine through WinchDepot.com with the lifetime warranty for an extra $50.00. I am glad spent the extra money on the lifetime warranty as I had to use it. :D So, my vote is for Smittybuilt purchased through winchdepot.com.

Kim

Why did you need to use it? A winch is the last thing I'd want to fail out on the trail. :shiver:

Why did you need to use it? A winch is the last thing I'd want to fail out on the trail. :shiver:

I wouldn't say fail, it still worked, but the automatic load hold stoped working. They said it was a flaw somewhere in the winch and didn't say anything more. I put mine through some pretty good use without any problems. I have read many reviews on the smittybuilt 10,000 and this is the first time I have come across this and the first I know of anyone using the lifetime warranty. I vote Smittybuilt.

Buy a warn and don't look back! I have a milemarker se 9500. (I read somewhere mm and smitty built are made bay the same company.) It doesn't free spool properly, over heats on long pulls and just recently the plug for the controller stoped _working. I have to hold it in just right. This thing is 100% crap.

I love it.. One minute you say warn is expensive, and then you list off the "Decked out" lower end winches.. If all you can afford is $300.. fine.. but if your price range is $5-600.. Buy the american made WARN..

I learned my lesson buying a budget winch, worked great until I needed it the most, and it failed. Do yourself a favor stick with quality, Warn or Superwinch. A winch is the LAST thing you want to skimp on.

Hmmm.., I agree with supporting fellow American Workers, and products with 'honed' reputations. Rather than getting into a debate, lol, my personal choice will be a Warn 8000, albeit perhaps they have even a better model, 'dunno 'fer 'sho, but that's my decision anyways. Why? Well one test really swayed my novice opinion.., and here is a link to it, "Winches in Hell": http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/general/listing.cfm?articleID=353 Best wishes. Me, I'm going to go synthetic line for reasons that are mine alone, whereas there are rugged individuals here at NAXJA, that really demand the attributes of wire. Suggest you study real well, the pluses and minuses, of the winch and line you need for your application before spending any of your hard earned fiat currency.:explosion

Just addin my 2 cents, i have had a warn M8000 for a while now and have pulled out plenty of stuck jeeps and mud trucks, the thing has never failed me and its enough power for what i need to pull someone out. Also Warn is based out of Oregon, right here in the U.S.A.

Heres a pic...

offroad2.jpg

Back