• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moog rod ends

mknack

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I am trying to change out a few of the bad tie rod ends that I have on my ORO U-Turn steering system. I have had this system for a while now and have had a lot of problems with tie rod ends failing.

They have been very helpful with providing the Napa part numbers for the tie rod ends and also said that they have found excellent Moog replacements for the drag link. The Moog replacements for the drag link are part #ES3096L.

I want to give the Moog TRE's a chance, but I would like to go ahead and get some of the same hardware for the tie rod too. Unfortunately, the guys at ORO were not able to give me an equivalent Moog part number for the lower TRE's that are on the tie rod itself. They can only provide the Napa part numbers: 2692058 and 2692059.

So, does anyone out there know what the Moog equivalent is for those Napa part numbers?

I know that Napa Chassis used to be made my Federal Mogul (Moog), but is now made by someone different, and I would (do) run these over the Moog stuff.

I have run the Napa ones this last time, and they failed within about a year. It seems pretty typical of the steering system that I have, but the Moog ones apparently solve the problem.

I would like to try something new rather than throw another set in that is more than likely to fail in about a year. I will talk to the Napa guys and see is they know the equivalent. Thanks

I'm in the middle of upgrading my ORO steering since one of my rod ends didn't seat correctly (used set) and has began to wear out the tapered hole for the tie rod. To repair the hole I will ream the holes out from the small taper to the medium taper and use MOOG ES150R and ES150L tie rod ends.

To check which rod end taper you currently have you can follow the instructions on ORO's website.
ORO sales site said:
To determine which Tie Rod End you have on your U-Turn application, measure the castle nut for the tie rod end you plan to replace. If that nut measures 3/4" across the flats, then this tie rod end will NOT be a direct replacement. However, if you are able to increase the taper size in your hubs, you can step up to this larger tie rod end for longer performance.

Contact us for details.

You can also check out BillaVista's steering page for more info about the tie rod ends.

~Alex

I have run the Napa ones this last time, and they failed within about a year. It seems pretty typical of the steering system that I have, but the Moog ones apparently solve the problem.

I would like to try something new rather than throw another set in that is more than likely to fail in about a year. I will talk to the Napa guys and see is they know the equivalent. Thanks
Napa has two lines of tie rod ends, good ones and cheaper ones. The cheaper ones are made by Moog and share the same part numbers as Moog parts, the better ones are made by either Federal Mogul or TRW and all have 7 digit part numbers that look like phone numbers. If you're wearing out TRE's that quickly you have either steering angle or alignment problems, or they are not being adequately greased. I don't know what kind of wheeling you do, so don't take that as an offensive comment.

Generally speaking, here are 2 ways to make your TREs last much much longer:
1.) Grease them after you install them. I see countless people install them and forgetting this step. They do not come greased, they are packed with assembly grease at the factory and that's not sufficient to keep them lubed once they're put into service.
2.) Grease them EVERY time they are submerged in water. If you drive through water more than 8" or so deep, when you get home from wheeling put some more grease in them. If water comes out of the boots when you start greasing them, take the nuts off and remove the boot, then pump it full of grease till no more water is coming out.
3.) Grease them every time you change your oil.

Catch my drift? You can't grease them too much, but you can grease them too little. it may sound like a pain in the ass but it will pay off in the long run. I manage a NAPA parts store in SoCal, if I can be of any help please let me know.

if you call o-reilly auto parts they can cross the napa part # in there computer in just a couple of seconds. Plus they carry moog tie rod ends on the shelf.

They can only provide the Napa part numbers: 2692058 and 2692059.

So, does anyone out there know what the Moog equivalent is for those Napa part numbers?

Those part numbers are listed as fitting early 60's Ford, Chevy, and Dodge 1/2 and 3/4 ton 4x4 trucks.

Moog ES258R = Napa 269-2059
Moog ES258L = Napa 269-2058

Hope this helps your search.

has anyone ever bent the passenger side draglink end to get more travel without binding like the currie setup? Thinking about testing it out on a spare I got and see how it comes out. If I heat it up there wont be a problem with the TRE do you think? obviously I will remove the dust boot before hand.

has anyone ever bent the passenger side draglink end to get more travel without binding like the currie setup? Thinking about testing it out on a spare I got and see how it comes out. If I heat it up there wont be a problem with the TRE do you think? obviously I will remove the dust boot before hand.

I'm pretty sure if you bend it, you're going to make a weak spot.

Robert

Thanks for all the help. I ordered the Moog ones off the interenet and they should be here by the end of the week. I also ordered the same ones from Napa that I did last time. I hope I get a little more life out of them this time. I'm gonna throw them on this weekend and then get it aligned right away. Then off to Death Valley next week.

Back