• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Quick disconnect issues

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
so today on the way to work the rear transmission line popped out, luckily i only live 1.5 miles from work but there is a trail at least a mile long of my tranny fluid. Tried to get it back in and it wouldn't stay, would go in all the way but if I tugged on it it would come out somewhat easy, went to the store and got a new quick disconnect popped it on and same thing, took a new qd and tried snapping it into the tranny side first without the line attatched and it wouldn't click in,

any guesses? Don't mind walking to work but 32 is pretty cold so I need to get this fixed

TIA

Doug

those damn things are a real pain in the ass... same shit happened to me. Make sure you don't have too many o-rings on the line or in the fitting before installing it.

The better way to fix it is to get an M14x1.5 thread o-ringed line fitting from Earl's (Summit Racing carries his parts) and some 3/8" oil cooler hose and 13-15mm fuel injection hose clamps and eliminate the cursed quick disconnect entirely. GrimmJeeper did a writeup on this recently.

what is this o-ring you speak of? don't know where/if they would help this situation, if this doesn't get fixed no beerfest in two weeks in southbridge

Doug i stopped by your work and popped it back in takes a little more effort to come out now but it does not feel like the correct one

i was going to call you when i was there cept the battery died on my cellular phone

there are a couple o-rings inside the quickdisconnect, wish I could remember the exact arrangement. I pretty much kept ramming it back in there and combining curse words in new and more interesting ways till it stayed properly. If you get it at the wrong angle it won't go in all the way either.

... and I'm gonna go ahead and preempt the inevitable "that's what she said"

yeah rj I got it in a few times and it was "harder" to get it out but no definitive click, I popped the old one off before i went to the store and got the exact same one, maybe the PO had the wrong one too, going to look for the write up on the delete, and thanks for stopping in.....had to get to the liquor store before they closed at 8 =)

there are a couple o-rings inside the quickdisconnect, wish I could remember the exact arrangement. I pretty much kept ramming it back in there and combining curse words in new and more interesting ways till it stayed properly. If you get it at the wrong angle it won't go in all the way either.

... and I'm gonna go ahead and preempt the inevitable "that's what she said"

it wasn't a depth issue, the collar is/was flush with the metal, I ordered a whole new adapter w/disconnect, so I'll probably just go that route when it shows up

the sized I had were GM/Chrysler 5/16 and 3/8, 3/8 was the only one that fit over the tube

The collar meaning the ridge/ring around the metal line? It has to go further than flush with the end of the fitting, iirc it has to go in about another 1/4" to 5/16" before it actually seats.

The collar meaning the ridge/ring around the metal line? It has to go further than flush with the end of the fitting, iirc it has to go in about another 1/4" to 5/16" before it actually seats.

the collar on the disconnect that you put the tool on to remove was flush to the metal (we'll call it a giant nut) that it goes inside. I'll take pics tomorrow at work

Back