• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 what gears does it have?

wildcat-xj

NAXJA Forum User
found this under a 97 at junkyard today. looks like a Chrysler 8.25.
5568469545_4fd767a0a4_b.jpg

how do i know what gears it has? it had these tags.
5568469995_f8d64a4a14_b.jpg

5569058098_57b3b2baab_b.jpg

it doesn't seem to be lsd. when i spin one tire the other spins opposite.

thanks

not lsd. looks to be 3.55 ratio, prob came from a 4.0l with an AW4 tranny. Staright up most common config in an XJ. SInce its a '97, it should have 29 splines. It's the right canidate for an upgrade.

Yep. As long as you have the same gear ratios in the front as in the rear. If it has a 4.0 and an AW4 like you have, it will have the same ratio.

so this would be a direct bolt in for my 89 that is already has dana's with 3.55 gears?

your 89 will have a D35, the pinion length on the 8.25 is longer. If you're lifted it will probably be fine. Stock height you'll need to shorten the driveshaft to keep from breaking the t-case output at full stuff.

Other than the driveshaft it is bolt in and about a million times stronger.

If you're still at stock height, grab the driveshaft as well-- the 8.25" shaft is shorter due to longer pinion.

don't forget the u-bolts as well-- should replace them every time, but it's easier to get replacements with one in hand at the store

weiner dude beat me to it......

If you're still at stock height, grab the driveshaft as well-- the 8.25" shaft is shorter due to longer pinion.

did the 97+ not have a different yoke? Of course I suppose you could just swap the shaft part and reuse the 89 yoke.

yes, grab the driveshaft.

cool. i have an auto tranny, dana 35 with 3.55 gears and a 4" lift. looks like i need to go back tomorrow to pull it.

As long as you are bumpstopped properly for 4" of lift you should be fine with your stock driveshaft. A bunch of us math nerds got our heads together a while ago and worked out the trigonometry and a 4" lift is going to put your driveshaft slip yoke about where it was at stock height.

95- vs 96+ the slip yoke and driveshaft length design changed though, so if you were at 0-4" of lift swapping to the 8.25 I would suggest getting a driveshaft from a 4.0/auto/8.25 rig built from 91-95 (91 is implicit, since there were no 8.25s in XJs before then.)

That is a good price, I pay 100 or 130 with no core charge at my local yard depending on who is at the register. You will need new U-bolts but otherwise it should be the same like Shorty said as long as you get the brakes with it.

I suppose if you were really anal about it you would want the spring plates too, or you can just use a grinder and egg your D35 plates out to fit the new u bolts.

I suppose if you were really anal about it you would want the spring plates too, or you can just use a grinder and egg your D35 plates out to fit the new u bolts.
Wondered why I didn't remember this... looks like 91-93 the factory used different plates with different hole spacings, but 94-up they used one universal-fit plate, which strangely enough is the same part number as the d35 plate from 91-93. Guess they decided it didn't matter?

Plates:
87-89 (no axle spec, d35 vs d44 no difference I guess) are one plate
90 is another (which is the same as the 91-93 d35 plate, and the 94-01 d35+8.25 plates)
91-93 has 8.25 specific plates.

Last edited:
Back