• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bearing noise

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
I "think" my front hubs are shot. I'm hearing bearing noise from the front when I roll. The D30 diff came out of a junkyard '89 so I don't know its' history but I've put 60K on a differential that could already have 200k on it. When I give the front tires a "shake test" for play however, the wheels seem rock solid. No movement. I suppose it could also be the front DS. What would you do as a next step? Misdiagnosis is an expensive pain in the _____.

I had that problem with my 2001. I was certain it was either my front hubs or u-joint. I told a friend of mine about this and without even hearing it he suggested taking out the front drive shaft and guess what?....IT WAS THE FRONT DRIVE SHAFT. the slip yoke was so dry that splines grooved the shaft and there was play in it. took it out and the noise disappeared. now i need a new front drive shaft :/

Come to think of it the front drive shaft doesn't spin in 2 wheel drive does it?

Tracking down bearing or gear noise can be rough. The last time a hub went out on me, the noise seemed the loudest right under the drivers floorboards, thought for sure it was transfer case front bearing.
I've had pretty good luck taking everything possible off of the suspected differential, brake drum or disc and drive shaft. And turning the shaft or yoke by hand. You can sometimes feel something like a rattle or vibration in your finger tips, my guess is it is the bearing play or maybe the spaling (flakes of metal) from heat damaged bearings or rust.
I also sometimes drive next to a brick wall, the noise echos back at you and most times helps locate the source, at least which end of the XJ. I have somebody hang their head out of the passengers side window.
Or I just drive it with the noise until the bearing gets so bad, you can feel the play or the seal springs a leak.
Funny, an X buddy of mine (professional auto mechanic) had changing out the front wheel bearings on a car. I walked in as the customer was complaining that the noise was still there. Lou looks at me and shrugs, I said put it up on the lift and run it in gear for awhile and see what you can hear. Turned out to be the rear transmission bearing. The customer was pissed, Lou and me don't talk much anymore. He lost a customer and so did I, I used to fix Lou's compressors and lifts.

Back