• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC eliminator for 91-93 fit my 88 help asap

no, thats H.O. bracketry.

put your alternator up top, and run a 770k6 belt. DONE AND DONE.
re-use the stock bananna bracket, shim it inline with spacers, and fab a tiny tiny peice for the front.

no, thats H.O. bracketry.

put your alternator up top, and run a 770k6 belt. DONE AND DONE.
re-use the stock bananna bracket, shim it inline with spacers, and fab a tiny tiny peice for the front.

thats decent advice. Otherwise you can get a factory bracket at the dealership for like a million dollars.
I don't know the part number, but I did not have facoty AC, I called to inquire about a new idler, my bracket is a little janky from a PO, he told me a stupid sum of money. I'm going to move the alternator. I'm tired of killing them anyway.

no reason not to if your not interested in running A/C or OBAir.

belts are half the length, and half the price, alt stays dry, and should you ruin one, is downright EASY to change out (think 5-10 min in the parts store parking lot).

maybe try posting up in your local chapter, if you were local, i'd set you loose on my parts pile. i know ive got at least 2 or 3 in there... but cant ship sorry.

ive got pics of howto do this on an H.O. too, if anyones interested. a little more fab work, but same results/belt routing/belt size.

If you swap the bracket that the AC compressor, fan pulley, and idler pulley mount to with one from a 91-95 HO, you can use the HO AC Bypass pulley.

Part number for the HO bypass pulley is #660-1819 (NAPA) and the AC/fan/idler bracket should be easy enough to find at the junkyard.

599659.jpg

These are not my pics, I found them on with google image search.

this shows the differences in the brackets:

5618d1251602015tbypassp.jpg

And this is the renix bypass pulley you're looking for if you get lucky enough to find one in the junkyard:

5612d1251599151tbypassp.jpg

mounted:

5613d1251599151tbypassp.jpg

Hope this helps :cheers:

Your A/C is seized, or the pulley bearing is seized?

If just the compressor, remove the black wire coming from the A/C Clutch to keep it from engaging.

If the Pulley Bearing, hitch a ride to the nearest JY and pull one from a like model compressor.

Thanks much, that picture of the difference helped alot, i think im gonna use the alt bracket and the ac bracket fab them together, so i can have the alt up top.

The banana bracket? is that the alt bracket? will that bolt up top? i guess i will find out in a few, gonna start in a few minutes.

Well i figured out wha.t im doing, and Im using only parts off the jeep, had to buy nothing. Just a bit of trimming off of the ac bracket. and mounting the alt bracket(i believe what your calling the banana) to the top of it where the ac used to be.

Maybe a new "free alt relocation" Thread.

I also am ridding myself of the clutch fan completely. and pulling the rest of the ac stuff. i had just recently pulled my old airbox out and made my own setup\splash guard. there is so much room opening up under my hood.

Last edited:
Is there a too close, or too far distance between the alternator and the idler? like change in angle and distance the belt is going between pulleys?

I don't think that matters much.

Unless you have dual (or triple) electric fans, you're going to overheat like a SOB when moving less than 15mph or so without the mechanical fan.

i dont think ill have a problem overheating, i dont have my ac condenser anymore, my elec fans never turn on, even when wheeling. my jeep never really gets hot.

I need an alternator that will fit my '88, and is more than 100amp, my local alt shop, said he could only go to 105amp(what a loser). so i need an other option ASAP. i want at least 130amp.

it says its a 160... my gut instict tells me not to buy alternators online....

cool thing about alternators, is when you buy em locally under warranty, you can take em back when they stop working and get a new one...

i run a CS144, got it from napa, it was bolt in for mounting up top, down below its a lil bit chubby.

well i found a guy here in town that'll turn my SEIZED cs130 into a 180amp, for 160$. 3 months old and it stacked the bearings in the back.
theres noone else in eugene i guess that winds alt's anymore. went to a marine\industrial shop,
he originally said he doesnt do automotive, only industrial or HD applications.
Im hoping it'll turn out to be a stout beast.

well got it all mounted, now my belt does a nice "U", i like the congiuration. the engine seems to rev much faster, havent driven it yet cause im still installing new lights, and finishing my new grounds, and new crimped cable eylets for the winch.
the winch seems to corrode the ends pretty quick compared to the other cables. kinda weird.

Ill take pictures of my nice OPEN engine bay, and the way i mounted the alternator.

Thanks again for the help guys, you made me feel more comfortable about doing the relocation. and thanks to XJawgi this is his post, it was much help, just seeing someone doing it.>

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=996363&highlight=alternator+relocate

mine is very similar, just used different mounts that i modified.

I'm going to have to put this on the list. I'm tired of killing alts. the only time they go bad is winterfest, because that's the only time I'm ever in mud.

Stay out of the mud. I don't have any problem with killing alts at the Badlands. Of course, I'm not a mud puppy.

This really is an interesting mod, but for those who actually like their AC or want an OBA setup using the stock compressor, it's not ideal.

no mod is good for 100% of the population, and the thread topic pretty much sums it up.

take it or leave it, the discussion is there.

building a jeep that cant get dirty out of fear of limping home is LAME JEEP.

Back