• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Washer Pumps

alever

NAXJA Forum User
Both my front and rear washer pumps are not working. From the dealer they're about $36.00 a piece. I know you can get aftermarket ones but I don't want to have to deal with rewiring them to make it fit with the stock components. I saw these washer pumps cheap on ebay. My question is, is there a difference between the front and rear pump, or could I just buy 2 of these and have them work for both. It looks like it comes with an adapter specifically for the '98 XJ. Any experience/help would be great! :cool:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ANCO...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1294wt_931

I took mine out and washed them in really hot water, sprayed them a few times with oil, washed them again and eventually removed all the buildup from the calcium in the water and the goopy residue from my windshield washer antifreeze. They have been working fine since.

I took mine out and washed them in really hot water, sprayed them a few times with oil, washed them again and eventually removed all the buildup from the calcium in the water and the goopy residue from my windshield washer antifreeze. They have been working fine since.

really? were they not working at all? I checked the pumps and they're not emitting any power, or making any noise like they're trying to run when I hit the wipers.

Although, I think mine have to do more with rust. I don't really have any rust on the xj, but for some reason there's a lot of rust buildup on the pumps themselves.

Mine were froze solid, didn't have any hum or any other telltale when I bench tested them. It took some doing to get all the deposits out, a piece of wire and a lot of fiddling. Could be your windings are toast, mine weren't.
I was thinking if I ever do it again I'd soak the pump in Vinegar overnight and see if that doesn't dissolve or loosen some of the deposits.
I fiddle with a lot of stuff, even when I have a replacement, I'm a curious sort.

Although, I think mine have to do more with rust. I don't really have any rust on the xj, but for some reason there's a lot of rust buildup on the pumps themselves.
It has been a few years since I did mine, I seem to remember having some gasket issues, like they disintegrated and fell apart. Maybe yours are leaking onto the motor. My problem was mostly crap in the pump.
Blow through one and see what happens.

autozone/o' riliey's/napa/-insert generic local part store here. They are about 15 bucks each and are ultra easy to install... just pull the retainer clips off the inner fender guard and they are right there on the left.

The connectors differ between front and rear. The one I found at a parts store has connector for the rear, with an adapter for the front, so it works fine in both spots.

The inner fender location is hard on pumps, and they tend to rust. You can try to revive them, but it doesn't always help. They're not made to be taken apart, so you have to be a bit creative. I fixed one of mine and it lasted a while, but it was a stopgap, and eventually the rust hole in the case finished its work.

autozone/o' riliey's/napa/-insert generic local part store here. They are about 15 bucks each and are ultra easy to install... just pull the retainer clips off the inner fender guard and they are right there on the left.

I thought with the generic ones though that I would have to figure out how to wire them or something, because I would think that they wouldn't plug straight in, since they're generic pumps made for all cars?

If you are attempting to descale (remove the calcium) then you might want to consider using vinegar as the acis will react to the base (calcium) and cut it all out. I use vinegar to descale my coffee machine...:laugh3:

I thought with the generic ones though that I would have to figure out how to wire them or something, because I would think that they wouldn't plug straight in, since they're generic pumps made for all cars?
They're not 100 percent generic, at least the ones I got from a Parts Master store. They probably fit a wide range of applications, but there are too many different mounting styles, etc. to make a completely generic pump. I could not even steal the pumps from my 95 XJ to put into the 99, because those don't press in.

Hope I'm not hijacking , but where IS the rear washer pump located? I've got a 96.
I'm not sure which type of reservoir the 96 uses, but they all have two pumps in the tank. If it's the earlier type and left hand drive, the tank is under the hood, and pretty obvious. In the 97-up, and also in earlier RHD models, the tank is in the left hand fender well, accessible by pulling back the plastic inner liner. The rear pump will be the higher of the two pumps you see.

Back