• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just checking, 92 to 94 swap

Mike Mike

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up a 92 donor xj for the motor. It also has full inst. cluster with tach. and the wing windows I wanted.
Did lots of searching and reading. Just making sure I didn't miss anything. The motor and cluster should be just plug and play into my 94. Correct?

A little side note. has 1 year old open system radiator,fresh hoses, and heater valve that I'm going to swap into my wifes 89 that still has the closed system.

The motor will swap no problem. You will have to swap some of the sensors and whatnot since they changed every few years. Go to rockauto.com and open two browser windows, compare part numbers to see what needs to be switched around. Look at the senders, sensors, fuel injectors, etc. You need the 94 parts for your existing computer and wiring harness. Threads and stuff are all the same so it's just a matter of getting the right parts.

The cluster will swap but you'll have to change a couple of things on the engine to make the gauges work. Things like oil pressure sender and coolant temperature sender use an on/off switch for the idiot lights, versus a variable resistor for the gauges. Get the gauge senders with the right connectors for your 94.

Thanks for the suggestion about rockauto. Did that and looks like it's plug and play with no changes. Going to be using the cluster from the same xj as the motor. So the sending units are already their.

Back