• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

reusing leaf bolts

scott00tj

NAXJA Forum User
How necessary is it to use new bolts when replacing the leafs and the shackles? I saw on site they recommend using new hardware whenever making the swap.

it depends. I wouldn't re use stock sized u bolts, but I've reused the rough stuff gigantic ones and they are fine.

If the OP is asking about the spring and shackle bolts, well then...

Most times the stock leaf spring and shackle bolts are rusted so bad to the bushing sleeves that you have to cut em out anyways... I would just buy new hardware for your new springs and shackles.

I bought new eye/shackle bolts because I planned on breaking the stock ones or boogering up the threads getting them out. Just grab some LCA bolts at the junkyard though, they are the same exact bolt.

U-bolts should probably be replaced.

i re-use leaf bolts all the time

u bolts on the other hand are supposed to be replaced every time they are out.

i have re-used them in a pinch though. and i don't feel too bad about re-using my ruffstuff grade 8 5/8" diameter u bolts

I never reused U-bolts either until I got my ruff stuff 5/8 grade 8 u-bolts.
I just don't see them failing. As far as shackle bolts, whenever I am remove an important bolt I clean it up with a wire brush and inspect it. If it is undamaged no problem with reusing it. Just a little common sense, if it is rusted and pitted replace it.

I would replace them as long as they are out to make sure you have clean threads... But then in Michigan they put down tons of salt on the roads.

I'm pretty sure that the frame side mounts I welded on for the shackle hangers will fail before the ruff stuff ubolts I've re-used...

I'm talking about the "Rear Leaf Spring Shackle Bolt & Nut". On Team Cherokee's site is where I saw it saying they should be replaced.

unless the bolts have a deep groove worn into them from the side of the steel bushing, or are badly rusted/threads damaged, there's no reason to replace them. They're just big bolts.

That said, if your Jeep lived in the north and saw a lot of salt, plan on the bolts being seized into the bushing and you'll end up cutting them out. If they look nasty, order the replacement bolts ahead of time, you don't want to pay local parts store/dealer prices for them. I had to cut out both front LCA bolts when I did my first lift, and I cut out both the front leaf spring bolts just last month. I was lucky that I had some spare ones on hand from previous projects.

If you can get them out I would clean them up and put some antiseize on them and reuse them.

I'd order them ahead of time, unless you are in NO rush about the jeep being back on the road. You may be chopping the bolts out, and even if you don't have to go there, 12 years in Ohio means the bolts may be weakened by rust & pitting.

When you get them out, if they look good, clean them & apply antiseize & call it a day. Otherwise, new ones.

The bolts aren't under elastic load so it's not really a question about torque yield stretching.

They are under shear load so it is a problem if they are severely marred or pitted or rusty. You don't want to snap one at the threads, trust me.

Dealer charges about $15 per last time I checked. Luckily the LCA bolts are almost the same, just a little bit shorter but plenty long. You can get like-new LCA bolts from XJ/ZJ/TJ/WJ at the junkyard all day long for free. I picked up a bunch from soccer mom Grand Cherokees that still had the factory zinc coating.

12 years of Ohio winters..... :)

lol.
Order new ones. Have fun cutting those out. I have no optimism having just done the same a few months ago, and mine were out just a scant 3 or 4 years ago.

87 "lives 30 minutes from you" Manche

The bolts aren't under elastic load so it's not really a question about torque yield stretching.

They are under shear load so it is a problem if they are severely marred or pitted or rusty. You don't want to snap one at the threads, trust me.

Dealer charges about $15 per last time I checked. Luckily the LCA bolts are almost the same, just a little bit shorter but plenty long. You can get like-new LCA bolts from XJ/ZJ/TJ/WJ at the junkyard all day long for free. I picked up a bunch from soccer mom Grand Cherokees that still had the factory zinc coating.
Agreed on everything except the last paragraph... TJ ones are NOT the same. Neither are ZJ iirc but not sure on that. TJs use cam bolt adjusters on the LCAs...

WJs however are the same or damn close, and XJs are literally the same part number unless I am blind/have CRS. WJs have one stupid tag nut on the body end of the LCA on one side, I think it is the pass side but don't remember. No idea why it is only one, ask Chrysler... :sure:

Back